Where Are All The In-field Reviews Of The E1500???

FWIW I have a Detech 18” CC coil that I tried on mine. I set the coil configuration box to 18x18 and tried to calibrate it, but it would not calibrate by saying ready to detect. Even passing a big hunk of brass over the coil gave no response.

So I guess the 18” will be up for sale.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Bootscrape said:

FWIW I have a Detech 18” CC coil that I tried on mine. I set the coil configuration box to 18x18 and tried to calibrate it, but it would not calibrate by saying ready to detect. Even passing a big hunk of brass over the coil gave no response.

So I guess the 18” will be up for sale.

I have a 15" prototype X-coil Concentric and while it doesn't calibrate it appears to work fine.  These coils were designed for detectors with DD Coil support which they need to run as a Concentric.  They can run as a Mono in mono mode on the GPX 5000, in my case the 15" CC X-coil runs in mono mode on the Algoforce, although it won't calibrate it seems to work pretty good.

The naming of the coils like 18x18 is more for your benefit to know which coil, it makes no difference to the detector, you could do a 1x1 on a 20x20, makes no difference.

I would wait and see what happens with firmware updates to the Algoforce, they may improve coil support for unusual coils, but really, the detector was designed around mono coils.

Got my Algoforce the other day, only tried it out in the backyard at the moment. Won't be able to get to the goldfields for a few weeks yet. Backyard testing with some tiny pieces (about .25 gram) and some speciems with only a trace of gold in them and all seems well. Coils used were 12" evo round , 14 x 9 nugget finder and a old 14" round white spoked nugget finder. I intend to use the Algo after the mornings detect with the 4500 and the evo coils. Then use the Algo in the afternoon to give my aching back and shoulder some respite. (the joys of getting old). Thats the plan anyway I'll see how that pans out.

Same here Olly.... can’t wait to get over to Vic. and try my luck with it. That’s not a bad report on the 12” Evo with hearing specimen gold. I plan to add one to my arsenal.

Where do you hail from?

The E1500 has good depth on 0.5gram nuggets and up with the 12"Rnd Evo, like all detectors before it since year one the coil size determines its depth as much or more than the detectors technology, large coils for depth applies to all. Now if I was a younger fellow and could swing monster coils (anvils) I`d forget the claim the E1500. the 6K, the Axiom or any other detector are only for shallow small gold because that attitude just does not stack up out in the field. So if all you can afford is an E1500 and a small coil and a large coil plus you swing out on prospective fringe ground persistently, shallow or deep applying the above good sense positive attitude, chances are you`ll find enough to upgrade to say a ZVT. 

I think the best thing someone could do in this instance so they can understand for themselves how a detector will perform with different coils is to bury something like a larger nugget if they have one or even a lump of lead sinker from a fishing line, and see how deep they get it with a smaller coil, and then a larger coil and compare to other detectors.

It's very easy and quick to see the depth differences on offer with different detectors.  For me the GPZ and GPX 5000 provide greater depth advantages with larger coils than others, including the Algoforce.

I'd love to be able to say I have seen the results with gold, sadly that's not the case as I don't find big gold, however I will say I've found a 4-gram nugget with the 8" Coil on the GPZ deeper than I can pick the same nugget up with the Algoforce with a 12" round coil on it.

I found the QED a good example of this, by having adjustable pulse rates you could adjust it to pick up small gold well, but it suffered with deeper targets as a result, adjust it up for the deeper targets and small targets suffered.

On 3/18/2024 at 9:47 AM, phrunt said:

I'm guessing as it's a detector geared towards finding the smaller nuggets there is little point running a 17 or 20" round mono on it, much like the SDC with larger coils, a pointless exercise.  If you want big deep gold with big coils, it's not the right detector to use.  Even the 6000 is a small coil detector and bigger coils like a 17" round or 20" round are pointless, its biggest is the Minelab 17x13" so 13" wide, the NF was going to be a 16x10" so in theory the stock 11" could likely beat it for depth on some targets.   These sort of detectors are just not the choice for big deep gold with big coils, if the Algoforce E2500 comes out, maybe it will be the big deeper gold detector for larger coils.

They would recommend larger coils if you're chasing that as you'll have more hope than with smaller coils, I'd say 🙂

Unlike the GPX 6000 they can't limit the sizes you can throw on it, there are just so many GPX 5000 coils available.  If anything, the statement they added above should give you a clear indication this is a detector based upon finding smaller gold or shallower big gold and that's exactly what it is.  

Your missing the point mate. There is incorporated in the E1500 a large gold mode and the manual clearly states the use of coils, large coils bigger than the 14 excels in mineralised ground. They then say they have never used one bigger than the 14 so big ones should work in theory. Wow, great field testers using a detector with that mode and advice on bigger coils excelling but they never bothered to try it!? Seriously!?

If as you say, its pointless, then why is it a feature they have. How would you know what is or isn't pointless when you have never found anything bigger than grams? Your giving advice and corrections on something you've never even done nor achieved? Its all in your head with zero experience. 

Your full of it. 

5 hours ago, Taz said:

If as you say, its pointless, then why is it a feature they have.

Because I've been using it lately for coins and jewellery, 87 coiins so far, 32 of which were silver.  I tried bigger coils, and found I was able to achieve similar depth with a 12" coil, as I could with a 15" coil on a silver coin, the different modes such as normal gold and large gold do provide depth benefits over using the Ultra fine and Fine gold modes using these bigger coils, but there comes a point where putting on a bigger coil doesn't provide any benefit.

What I've been saying is that it is pointless throwing something like a 20" coil on it and expecting to get dramatic depth increases over using something like a 15" coil.  

I was going to do a post on it as a coin detector, but perhaps it's not worth it as clearly giving information can be unappreciated.

I'm just trying to keep your expectations in line with the reality.

“I was going to do a post on it as a coin detector, but perhaps it's not worth it as clearly giving information can be unappreciated.“

Trust me, we appreciate your efforts and info..... keep ‘em coming. 👍

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think the best thing someone could do in this instance so they can understand for themselves how a detector will perform with different coils is to bury something like a larger nugget if they have one or even a lump of lead sinker from a fishing line, and see how deep they get it with a smaller coil, and then a larger coil and compare to other detectors.

It's very easy and quick to see the depth differences on offer with different detectors.  For me the GPZ and GPX 5000 provide greater depth advantages with larger coils than others, including the Algoforce.

I'd love to be able to say I have seen the results with gold, sadly that's not the case as I don't find big gold, however I will say I've found a 4-gram nugget with the 8" Coil on the GPZ deeper than I can pick the same nugget up with the Algoforce with a 12" round coil on it.

I found the QED a good example of this, by having adjustable pulse rates you could adjust it to pick up small gold well, but it suffered with deeper targets as a result, adjust it up for the deeper targets and small targets suffered.

True the QED has a control to select either depth or sensitivity, it needs it as it is a single channel Pi, the E1500 has two channels one for sensitivity and one for depth thus like most modern gold PIs. I know burying targets to test any detectors/coils ability is not a true indication of their depth/sensitivity/GB ability that undisturbed field gold is. I`ve found the E1500 is a very capable all-round gold detector that punches well above its cost, even by the time you add a battery and a couple of modern mono coils of around an ounce. The very first gold VLF I bought in 79 cost a little over 2 ounces.