Does Anyone Still Hunt With A Sovereign?

My first Minelab detector was a Sovereign XS and I did very well with it back in the day.  It was long ago sold.  Recently I picked up a super clean XS from a forum member, mainly for nostalgia purposes.  However, while I am recuperating from a partial knee replacement and can't hunt, I have given some thought to rolling the Sovereign out and doing some hunting with it.  So I'm curious if any of you guys still hunt with one.  I was a chest mount guy, used the white coil inland and a WOT coil at the beach.  I always loved the big target response of BBS machines, so different from today's multi frequency detectors.

Bill

• Like 4

I have one sitting in the garage myself. Even though I still use my Excalibur a lot in the water and has the same technology. I don’t use the sovereign. I would still not hesitate to use one especially if you chest mount it. So it’s that much lighter and easier to swing. 
 I think it would have a hard time picking up chains compared to the newer machines. 

I still use several sovereigns all the time, I use it with smaller coils in very trashy areas. The sovereigns pull round objects out of trash like nothing ever made. I’ve got an extra light weight one that is a low 3lbs.

IMG_2988.jpeg

IMG_2989.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s a Steve’s detector rod/ arm cuff I lightened it more with aircraft fasteners and chopping weight that was overkill. Shorter cables too. Used LiPo batteries saves a lot of weight and run time is great. The coil is a 4.5”x7” detech made for the entire sovereign series. There’s one just like it for sale in the classifieds section. 

I have a couple Sovereigns here, and still like to beach hunt with one occasionally. Chest mounted with the Detech 13" ultimate and I can go for hours. That smooth threshold buzz, and just waiting for the threshold tone change to indicate I've gone over something. Simple and effective. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:45 PM, blackflag said:

I still use several sovereigns all the time, I use it with smaller coils in very trashy areas. The sovereigns pull round objects out of trash like nothing ever made. I’ve got an extra light weight one that is a low 3lbs.

IMG_2988.jpeg

IMG_2989.jpeg