New Untouched Colonial Homestead

56 minutes ago, NJ Art said:

My buddy is sending them out to get graded.

al2-side.jpg

al 2.jpg

It just gets better.  My non-expert eye grades the obverse of the lower coin in the XF ballpark.  There's always an issue with dug coins, but with extremely careful restoration this could easily value well into the four figures.

In Bowers's A Guide Book of Half Cents and Large Cents he begins the 1794 entry with:  Among all early American coins there is no numismatic panorama of die varieties more interesting and extensive than the copper cents of 1794.  I counted over sixty in 30+ pages.  Because of the involved preparation of dies in those early days there are a lot of recognizable (to the trained eye) differences that lead to certain people collecting by die variety.  So just have a date and type doesn't do justice to figuring out value, at least when the coin's grade is moderate to high.

Interestingly the upper coin's variety is easily determined due to the 'cud' on the left rim.  A piece of the die broke off during use and the coin's metal filled the gap.  On p. 335 of the Bowers book this variety is referred to as Heavy, Stubby Lower Lock, Short Right Stem (BW-82, S-62, B-54).  It also estimates the surviving population as 75 to 120.  Although not as impressive as the second one, this coin could grade in the VF zone.  (You're friend will know for sure when the pros give their assessment.)

People here often ask if a coin is worth getting professionally graded (NGC or PCGS).  I contend for these, the answer is an emphatic 'Yes!"

"Finds of a lifetime" may not be an exaggeration for these two.

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 2

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

It just gets better.  My non-expert eye grades the obverse of the lower coin in the XF ballpark.  There's always an issue with dug coins, but with extremely careful restoration this could easily value well into the four figures.

In Bowers's A Guide Book of Half Cents and Large Cents he begins the 1794 entry with:  Among all early American coins there is no numismatic panorama of die varieties more interesting and extensive than the copper cents of 1794.  I counted over sixty in 30+ pages.  Because of the involved preparation of dies in those early days there are a lot of recognizable (to the trained eye) differences that lead to certain people collecting by die variety.  So just have a date and type doesn't do justice to figuring out value, at least when the coin's grade is moderate to high.

Interestingly the upper coin's variety is easily determined due to the 'cud' on the left rim.  A piece of the die broke off during use and the coin's metal filled the gap.  On p. 335 of the Bowers book this variety is referred to as Heavy, Stubby Lower Lock, Short Right Stem (BW-82, S-62, B-54).  It also estimates the surviving population as 75 to 120.  Although not as impressive as the second one, this coin could grade in the VF zone.  (You're friend will know for sure when the pros give their assessment.)

People here often ask if a coin is worth getting professionally graded (NGC or PCGS).  I contend for these, the answer is an emphatic 'Yes!"

"Finds of a lifetime" may not be an exaggeration for these two.

Thanks by buddies going to be very pleased when he sees this. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

WOW!!!! Those are 2 of the absolute best Liberty Caps that I have ever seen come out of the ground. 

My buddy dug these a foot apart. 

One question, how are you communicating with us from heaven ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Slowing everything down looking for the deep signals at this point. Beautiful Tombac buttons, Tallio cuff button, 1775 George III, clipped George III, a giant dandy tombac and a small flat.

20240308_191244-crop.jpg

• Like 6