Hello From Mississippi

Welcome from Indiana.

This place is an invaluable resource for all things detecting, and the folks here have an incredible amount of knowledge and experience to share.

Welcome from East Texas.

Welcome from just north of Roman Londinium in the UK.

• 1 month later...

Old guy, but new to Metal Detecting. Purchased Whites MXT series 6 at garage sale, almost new. It has standard Eclipse  950 coil. All works good, trying to learn settings for success, Also live near the coast and would like to search in water during low tide. I have read that most coils are waterproof to a degree. Would old timers recommend using some type of "bag" over the coil to insure waterproofing? i.e. garbage bag. Only going in about 2-3' of depth. I know not to wet control box. 

Also I'm in Hattiesburg area should anyone like to get together sometime.

blackflag and King 

Welcome and welcome back to the forums to both of ya from uptah camp !🥸

Did you find any treasarrrrrrr today ?🏴‍☠️

Welcome from Indiana!

On 4/12/2024 at 10:06 AM, King said:

Old guy, but new to Metal Detecting. Purchased Whites MXT series 6 at garage sale, almost new. It has standard Eclipse  950 coil. All works good, trying to learn settings for success, Also live near the coast and would like to search in water during low tide. I have read that most coils are waterproof to a degree. Would old timers recommend using some type of "bag" over the coil to insure waterproofing? i.e. garbage bag. Only going in about 2-3' of depth. I know not to wet control box. 

Also I'm in Hattiesburg area should anyone like to get together sometime.

The coil should be fine unless it's has some cracks you can't see or the coil wire has cracks.

Also if you go more than 1 foot deep you WILL risk getting the control box wet, at 2 feet deep any wave can easily splash water onto and into the control box, at 3 feet deep the control box will be in the water for sure!!!

That all being said if you do use it in the water, be very careful of getting the coil higher than the control box while using or putting it back in your vehicle to return home as any water inside the rod can easily run up the rod and get into the control box, even a little bit of water can do damage if it gets into the control box, especially salt water.

I would suggest just using it out of the water, or just very shallow water at best.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:43 AM, rvpopeye said:

blackflag and King 

Welcome and welcome back to the forums to both of ya from uptah camp !🥸

Did you find any treasarrrrrrr today ?🏴‍☠️

Found my first coin Friday at an empty house next door. 1966 Dime, was very pleased that MXT and pinpointer were that accurate. Also found several bullet casings. But hey at this point "a find is a find". Thanks for the welcome.