Small Coil Needed For Manticore.

The manticore needs a smaller coil because it’s leaving targets. The M8 is a good coil on manticore. I have used it almost exclusively since getting it in early November. The manticore is probably the best machine for iron work that Minelab has ever made. I use a lot of different detectors to work in the thickest trash, nails and big iron infested sites. A 5”-6” small round coil or a smaller 3.5”x6”-4.5”x7” on most any machine of any brand will pull targets out of trash and iron that the M8 dose not lock on to. I’m making this post because I’m really hoping that minelab will give us a smaller coil. What could the CTX have been with a coil like the M8 or the Nel snake or an iron volume control ? Hoping that minelab will give us a better coil selection, that’s what makes a difference in most detectors is the coil selections. Fingers crossed 

3 hours ago, blackflag said:

Hoping that minelab will give us a better coil selection

Tall order, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Doubt it's going to be Minelab - they still can't meet M8 demand six plus months into accessory production and nearly a year and a half after M-core was released.   They don't really seem to care about providing accessory coils, it almost seems like an unwanted distraction or afterthought for them.  But hopefully they will outsource coil production licensing out to Coiltek like they did for the Equinox.   

Even if Coiltek gets on board, though, getting them to produce something smaller than the M8 is doubtful because of demand.  At a certain point, small DD style coils generally just enhance your ability to discern micro targets rather than actually improve separation in thick trash because high recovery speed dominates the equation.  I'm not saying a smaller "Snake" like coil wouldn't help, because I know you've obviously had success using such a coil attached to other detectors.  But in my experience, unless the objective is Micro gold, you really can't tease that much more out of thick trash by going smaller than the M8 with detectors that have high recovery speeds like M-core, Nox, Legend, and Deus 2.   But I'm not here to argue that point.

The other hurdle you face is that most people will find the M8 to be sufficiently small enough to meet their needs.  Coiltek or whoever makes more coils for M-Core will assess whether the demand will be sufficient to warrant a smaller coil for M-Core.  There is probably a good reason why ML didn't bother with making a 6" Round Coil for Manticore like they did for the Nox.  They probably figured based on Nox 6" and tge extremely popular 10x5" coil sales figures, that the demand sweet spot for coil footprint falls somewhere between those two coils, which is exactly where the 5.5x8" M8 coil lies.  That's no coincidence.

14 hours ago, blackflag said:

What could the CTX have been with a coil like the M8 or the Nel snake or an iron volume control ? Hoping that minelab will give us a better coil selection, that’s what makes a difference in most detectors is the coil selections. Fingers crossed 

Minelab makes a 6" round for the CTX and Coiltek makes a 5x10... I have both... so not sure what you are getting at with the comment on the CTX but I do agree it would be nice to have a 6" round for the M-Core as well..

strick 

I'd rather a 6.5 x 3.5 solid coil like the Legend now has from Nel with the Nel Snake coil.

NEL Snake for Nokta & Makro: The Legend - Search coils NEL (nel-coils.com)

Put this coil on the Mantcore and you likely have one of the best if not the best gold prospecting VLF's ever made for tiny gold.

nelsnake.jpg.b717b12e9f741cb890efac4053f430de.jpg

Combine that with the existing super sensitive coils like the M8 and 11", even the 15x12" is really good on small gold.  This Manticore has so much potential to be the best there is, it's missing this one coil size to top it off.

9 hours ago, strick said:

Minelab makes a 6" round for the CTX and Coiltek makes a 5x10... I have both... so not sure what you are getting at with the comment on the CTX but I do agree it would be nice to have a 6" round for the M-Core as well..

The 6” coil on CTX was a great combo for me. Made some really good finds in iron. It was deep and ID was great to depth. The Coiltek 5x10 did not run well on my CTX, very bad for me. A friend of mine had the same problem with the Coiltek 5x10. Maybe we got bad ones, not sure. The stock 11” and 17” coils ran great on the CTX. The manticore with M8 or M11 is a great detector, but in my sites a smaller coil that works correctly would eliminate a couple of extra units that I have to use in the thickest of iron and trash. Im just trying to get it out there that minelab needs a smaller coil for the manticore.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'd rather a 6.5 x 3.5 solid coil like the Legend now has from Nel with the Nel Snake coil.

NEL Snake for Nokta & Makro: The Legend - Search coils NEL (nel-coils.com)

Put this coil on the Mantcore and you likely have one of the best if not the best gold prospecting VLF's ever made for tiny gold.

nelsnake.jpg.b717b12e9f741cb890efac4053f430de.jpg

Combine that with the existing super sensitive coils like the M8 and 11", even the 15x12" is really good on small gold.  This Manticore has so much potential to be the best there is, it's missing this one coil size to top it off.

Exactly what I’m thinking, or a simple 5” round. The 6” is too big, too close to the M8 for size. Most good machines if someone has put in the time and effort has a coil combo that pulls them the goods. It could be small, medium, or large in size, but it pulls them the best finds. Sometimes a coil works on one machine but on another it’s just average or even does not work well at all. The manticore so far has filled all of my expectations with the exception of a smaller coil. Hopefully we will get it. 

I won't have a chance to test the M8 until next fall, but I hope it will perform as well as the 10x5 I was using in diving.

The only problem with that design was the total coil closure.

The m8 design on a 10x5 would be outstanding.

Below is an 8-year-old miracle, unearthed two chains amidst a lot of iron.

I must have been the tenth to pass on that patch....

20151220_131642.jpg

On 3/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Even if Coiltek gets on board, though, getting them to produce something smaller than the M8 is doubtful because of demand.

Ah, there's half of that economics lesson -- Supply and Demand.  Apparently that also carries over to concentric coils.  When was the last time a high(er) end IB/VLF even had a concentric option?  I'm thinking it was something from Nokta, but even that has been quite a while (as in more than 5 years), I'm guessing.  Is it really the case that a DD (of the proper size) has all the advantages of a concentric?  That didn't used to be the claim by many detectorists, but maybe they voted with their wallets in the end and thus we're where we are in 2024....  Or is it a physics/engineering issue, that Multifrequency and Concentric are incompatible?  (That doesn't let them off the hook, though, given that MF released models have single frequency option already built in.)

Garrett recently released their version of the Whites 24k coil, it's the gold prospectors that seem to drive the demand for concentric coils more than most.  I've not been crying out for one for the Manticore as I think it's too far out of reach, there has been no signs of Minelab considering making Concentrics for anything, except perhaps the GPZ 8000 🙂