Why Would A Diamond Have A Number On The Face

My wife has been looking at a ring I found a couple of years ago.  It has a pink diamond in the center and if you look very closely you can see a number on the face.  This is not on the girdle.  The diamond is not very big (half carat) so we wonder why it would be numbered.

• Confused 1

The better question would be, how they put the number on it without cracking it or breaking it.

Is it a man made diamond or is it a real one?

Would love to know the answer on this.

Is it a genuine pink diamond? or another coloured stone maybe? Very strange! Plug the number in to IGI or GIA and see if you can find a report on it. The pink Kimberly diamonds we stock, as well as lab and natural diamonds have the number on the girdle always. 

Would love to see a pic if you have one handy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 3:53 AM, Valens Legacy said:

The better question would be, how they put the number on it without cracking it or breaking it.

Is it a man made diamond or is it a real one?

Would love to know the answer on this.

Diamond serial numbers are laser etched. But I’ve never heard of them being put anywhere other than the girdle.  If it’s a standard serial number, you might be able to make it out with a 10x hand lens.  However a stronger lens might be easier.  These serial numbers are registered in a database as TTT2866 mentioned.  So plug it in and see. You might be able to find the original owner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like your particular diamond might be of some value.

Is It Necessary to Laser Engrave Your Diamond? | Diamond Registry

A diamond laser inscription is a set of letters and numbers etched into the stone, usually on the girdle. These symbols serve as a unique identifier that can be used to identify a specific stone if necessary. The grading lab where diamonds are certified usually laser engraves them.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 6:35 AM, TTT2866 said:

Plug the number in to IGI or GIA

I would need something other than a loop to read the numbers.  I'm sure it was a laser, and it is 4 characters long.  It is a very light gray when seen with a loop.  It is very small.  Doesn't seem like a GIA number.  I need to take it to a jeweler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I would need something other than a loop to read the numbers.  I'm sure it was a laser, and it is 4 characters long.  It is a very light gray when seen with a loop.  It is very small.  Doesn't seem like a GIA number.  I need to take it to a jeweler.

What happens when the jeweler looks it up and says "I found the owner" and then wants to confiscate it. What will you do then ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

He is not going to look it up.  He's going to tell me what it says.  haha  He won't know how to find me.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 minute ago, mn90403 said:

He is not going to look it up.  He's going to tell me what it says.  haha  He won't know how to find me.

Hmmm... can't find you , no pictures here either... sounds like this never happened. 🤣. Kinda like 1 of Tom's hypotheticals posts !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3