• The title was changed to Mining Claim Fee Maps

These are interesting, and wow- Nevada sure has been collecting a lot of fees!

I prospect occasionally in an area I know there has been an ongoing valid placer and lode claim, but I notice that only the lode claim shows up and the fees paid total doesn’t appear to have any fees recorded with it.  Also, the placer used to show up on the MLM maps before BLM’s error that occurred a while back, but not anymore. Could the BLM’s recording and dropped claims issue still be plaguing their system?

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:42 AM, GotAU? said:

These are interesting, and wow- Nevada sure has been collecting a lot of fees!

I prospect occasionally in an area I know there has been an ongoing valid placer and lode claim, but I notice that only the lode claim shows up and the fees paid total doesn’t appear to have any fees recorded with it.  Also, the placer used to show up on the MLM maps before BLM’s error that occurred a while back, but not anymore. Could the BLM’s recording and dropped claims issue still be plaguing their system?

These figures were created by the BLM itself. Usually Land Matters does analysis from their copy of the BLM MLRS database but in this case the BLM created this mapping directly from the original database.

Claims that show $0 in fees are either claims that were closed before 1994 or small miners claims that are exempt from the maintenance fee.

It could be that the claim status was changed to closed procedurally on November 17th. More likely is that the claim legal land description (LLD) is incorrectly described by the BLM. This is surprisingly common and results in the claim being unmappable. There are about 20 new mining claims located each month that have improper LLDs.

All together there are about 36,350 closed and active mining claims in the MRLS database that have unusable LLDs and can't be mapped.  In planning for the new MLRS database we pushed for some better control over these case file inputs to solve these errors and that became a part of the MLRS rollout plan. Unfortunately all those years of planning were thrown out when the MLRS was rolled out early, unannounced and incomplete on January 21, 2021. Since then claim file information input has been much worse. Often the information is incomplete to the point of being unusable. That wasn't nearly as big a problem with the old LR2000.

Land Matters can't fix this problem and obviously the BLM has no desire to deal with this but the claim owners can. I continue to strongly advise claim owners to check and correct errors like these in their BLM case files. With many changes in the database structure happening often and without notice these errors can pop up at any time. If your claim isn't on the map or a search doesn't show your claim where you expect it to be something is wrong with the case file.

There are much bigger problems looming with the MLRS. The BLM is aware of the MLRS problems but they have had no success convincing their contractors to track down the issues much less solve them. The BLM no longer has direct access to the code that runs the MLRS - that's been contracted out to Salesforce in San Francisco. I expect the MLRS will eventually fail unless the BLM contractors start taking these problems more seriously and put some real effort into fixing their code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1