A Good Video On Research

On 3/4/2024 at 11:58 PM, phrunt said:

I wonder if the museums might be interested in my Chinese coin, being that its so incredibly old they might want to put it on display.  I'd be happy to give it to them.

Excellent idea -- can't hurt to ask.  When we can give back to society something meaningful that's been lost and then found, everyone wins.  Learning history can be simultaneously enjoyable and enlightening; museums are a great example of that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

@phrunt. Didn't you find a ring in some old workings with ivory in it that you thought may have been Chinese?

Yup, happy to give that to a museum too if they'd want it.

30 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent idea -- can't hurt to ask.  When we can give back to society something meaningful that's been lost and then found, everyone wins.  Learning history can be simultaneously enjoyable and enlightening; museums are a great example of that.

Local museums have excellent gold displays and history on mining around the area, so it would fit in there.

18 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Just a shame it is broken & only half the coin.

@phrunt. Didn't you find a ring in some old workings with ivory in it that you thought may have been Chinese?

D4G

I was told by a guy when I showed him some of the Chinese coins I had found that they used to break them into halves and quarter pieces to use as small change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourtyniner said:

I was told by a guy when I showed him some of the Chinese coins I had found that they used to break them into halves and quarter pieces to use as small change.

That has always been a common practice over here in the UK with our mainly hammered silver coinage,we call them cut halves and quarters and was exactly as you have described using them for small change.

• Like 2