Research Frustration

I'm told by old timers that a horse race track was right next door to me. But the old timers aren't old enough to know exactly where. I've looked on Historical Aerials but in my area the earliest photo is 1939. By then they had plowed disked and put in irrigation ditches. No real difination of a track. I want to know where the crowd might have been standing. 

I was contracted to dig a ditch in the area and dug through an an old trash dump for an old house that shows up. Any ideas for other resources? Records are scarce for this part of Idaho in nineteen hundred. 

KIMG0696.JPG

KIMG0696.JPG

I'm thinking maybe old newspapers.  A horse track would have got some coverage.  Possibly advertising too.  As I'm sure you know, horse racing was a big dang deal back in the day and got lots of attention.

- Dave

Is there a historical society in your city? It was through my city's historical society, that I was made aware of the original site of a very old trading post and fort.

A local historical society or museum, may also have a digital archive that can be searched by keyword. My local museum has a digital archive, and the pictures are often accompanied by the exact location.

45 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

I'm thinking maybe old newspapers.  A horse track would have got some coverage.  Possibly advertising too.  As I'm sure you know, horse racing was a big dang deal back in the day and got lots of attention.

- Dave

Hadn't thought about newspapers. Probably have to look up Boise or Lewiston cause I doubt there was one here . I'm told that there was a circuit and that this was on it.

29 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Is there a historical society in your city? It was through my city's historical society, that I was made aware of the original site of a very old trading post and fort.

A local historical society or museum, may also have a digital archive that can be searched by keyword. My local museum has a digital archive, and the pictures are often accompanied by the exact location.

Digital? What's digital? 😂 Town of about eight hundred. Logging and ranching. No museum but the old railroad depot has a few pictures. Most of the info I have is from the old guys that I bought a drink for at the bar. 

6 minutes ago, Lost Scout said:

Digital? What's digital? 😂 Town of about eight hundred. Logging and ranching. No museum but the old railroad depot has a few pictures. Most of the info I have is from the old guys that I bought a drink for at the bar. 

So, intoxicated old men telling you what you want to hear for free drinks 😁

1 minute ago, Digalicious said:

So, intoxicated old men telling you what you want to hear for free drinks 😁

Yea... but one was still sober and a coworker.

Have to look that up. I'm in Adams county. Either one may be of help. There is a museum in council. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.