How Many Controls Do We Really Need?

• The title was changed to How Many Controls Do We Really Need?

I would agree that the simpler a detector is the more effective it is because your attention will be 100% focused on the search without constantly thinking about whether you have set the correct settings.

• Like 3

I’m starting to go the other way. I find myself leaving the zillion-option detectors sitting. I find I don’t enjoy the hunt, focused on the detector.

I take a simple detector out; I relax and enjoy the hunt.

It came as a surprise. Thought I had to have the super-duper.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Digital opened the door to more user options and control features. One of the problems I see is that between all the different MD manufacturers is there is not a standardization of terminology & symbols,( ie: recovery, reactivity; gain, sensitivity; iron bias, BC reject), even worse there is not a clear definition of the individual control feature and what that control feature actually does; and especially no standardization of coil quality. As a result I find myself committing a disproportional amount of time learning an individual MD. Plus another big negative for me, the SMF MD manufacturers will not disclose which frequencies their SMF MD use in the multiple search modes. For confidence in the MD I find myself turning down all this high tech complexity to the basics to suit the ground and targets I actually search. Do the math for yourself, 4-search modes with at least 2-variations each times 12 plus individual control features. For me simple is better, I prefer to focus on the hunt not constantly fiddling with the detector. 

• Like 5

Still have a couple Tesoros I use for jewelry hunting but this post definitely makes me wish I still had an MXT. Such a great machine in iron infested spots, especially with smaller coils. I loved the 6x8 SEF!!

• Like 1

That's why I still keep the T2.  Turn it on. Set the sensitivity and disc.  GB and swing.  If you want multi tones, they are there and simple to pick from.  Easy and still one of the best around.  Definitely the smoothest all metal mode of any detector I've ran.

• Like 4

If I am using a recently made SMF detector using its Multi settings in moderate to high iron mineralization, I can't dig it all and I am expecting top of the line performance both for depth, audio response and target ID accuracy,  I need adjustable iron bias, adjustable recovery speed, good ground balance options and some good audio options. I am okay with automatic frequency shift during startup, automatic triggered by the user or manual frequency shift like that on the Vortex. This is the kind of detecting I do most often.

If I am in a dig it all situation for coin sized targets, I don't really need highly adjustable iron bias, highly adjustable recovery speed or lots of audio options. I don't get that situation very often but the Vortex VX9 as it is right now seems fine for that if MD-MF works really well.

• Like 2