Manticore Gold Coin Find And Gold Coin ID For Those Interested

A few weeks back my buddy and I braved a snow storm to get to a site that had an open window of opportunity. If we didn't go now we wouldn't be able to get back in until early June because of ranch activity. When we arrived there at 9 am there was 1" of snow on the ground and the storm had subsided. I had both the Deus 2 and Manticore with me but decided to start off with the Manticore and 11" coil. Manticore settings were AT General, 1 region all tones, recovery 5, sensitivity 22, stock ferrous limits, normal audio with a simple profile. Worst part about hunting snow covered ground is the build up you get on the coil, requiring cleaning every few minutes. We hunted for a few hours and for the most part finds were few and far between. I think I had a few small cuff buttons and a percussion cap in my pouch. At about 1 pm the snow started to fall again, so we decided to call it and work our way back to the truck. As I rounded a bush I got a solid 24 on the Manticore and in my mind I thought this could be a gold coin, knowing from testing that the type 1 $1 comes up 23-24. As I was digging the hole I heard thumping and brush crashing to my left to see a moose running past me, stopping just long enough to take a look at me. Taking out a few shovel fulls of soil, the edge of the 1850 $1 gold coin was visible in one of the dirt clods and came from a depth of about 7 inches. I called my buddy over to take a look and take pictures as I broke it from the dirt and put some water on it. Turns out it was worth braving the elements.

For those interested, the ID for US gold coins on the Manticore are

Type 1 $1 23-24

Type 2 & 3 $1 20-21

$2 1/2 37-38

$5 50-51

$10 65-66

$20 76-78.

Snapshot.thumb.PNG.49172703527b8b063a016bd415d4cad2.PNGSnapshot_1.thumb.PNG.b5b5d25eab93331e58b63d58ce23533a.PNGSnapshot_2.thumb.PNG.052b08cd1afc70975e2ca961da5facd5.PNGManticore1.thumb.jpg.c8d5765340ef6ef3941a5116ea034842.jpg

I think this falls in the category 'the rich get richer', but before anyone labels that comment as 'envy', the only thing I'm envious of is being someone who puts as much effort into the entire endeavor (including research) as Andrew.  Sometimes people get lucky, but no one gets *that* lucky.  Well done (again).

Did soldiers in that area & time period get paid in small denomination gold?  I recall an article by Tom D. about the subject but his was for pre-CW (~1850, Florida) soldiers when (according to him) only the highest ranking received gold; the others silver.

Thanks Chuck. Yes research is a big part of success. But most of these camps I hunt have been hit for decades before I ever got to them. Maybe a pocket of untouched relics here and there where I found a bunch of stuff concentrated. But more importantly, the people that hit the areas were after the high conductive targets. Big bullets, big buttons and silver coins are all but gone. Plenty of the low conductors left if you don't mind sorting through the .22 brass, .22 lead and percussion caps.

Generally speaking, officers were paid in gold and enlisted men paid in silver. Enlisted men's pay in the 1850's was about $11 a month if I remember correctly. Whereas an officer would earn anywhere from $30-40 a month.

Too stinkin' cool!  From doing it in the snow, to the moose, to the recovery!  

- Dave

That had to be heartstopping when the first hint of gold revealed itself!

Thnaks Andy. I did find a 2022 post by PSPR that relayed information imparted originally by Tom Dankowski. I have copied it here. A general match up but some difference in the $5 coin. Maybe a change in later firmware?

Here are a few from NASA-Tom:

A new shiny Nickel ID's as '27'..... and will very clearly lock on to 27. A new clad Quarter ID's as '88'...... and does not jump around...... unless it is steeply tilted. A new clad dime ID's as '78'. A silver dime ID's as '80'..... unless it is heavily worn down. These are just a few examples. Magnetite/lateritic iron-oxide dirt will cause ID's to 'up-average'..... to a certain point (depth)...... then at the deeper depths....... ID's will then begin to drop.

Federally minted U.S. Gold Coin ID on Manticore =

$1 Type-1 = 23
$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20
$2.50 Quarter Eagle = 37 & 38
$5.00 Half Eagle = 49-53
$10.00 Eagle = 65
$20.00 Double Eagle = 76, 77, 78

1-Oz .9999 Canadian Mapleleaf = 95

U.S. 3-Cent Nickel = 12-16

Combining Tom and Andy's results for maximum safety plus a few key references:

$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20 - 21
$1 Type-1 = 23 - 24