Manticore Housing Mod From Sea Ghost

• The title was changed to Manticore Housing Mod From Seaghost

I'm guessing the main advantage to the Sea Ghost housing is to increase water depth resistance.

Is the disassembly of the Manticore housing non-destructive (seals have to be broken, etc)?

Very interesting product for sure 👍

Thanks for posting.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm guessing the main advantage to the Sea Ghost housing is to increase water depth resistance.

Is the disassembly of the Manticore housing non-destructive (seals have to be broken, etc)?

Very interesting product for sure 👍

Thanks for posting.

Yes, it is to increase water depth resistance but overall reliability as well.

I remember how easy the first Equinox model was to get water socked in, and I don't want to end up in such a situation with any other models that have similar construction.

This particular modified Manticore was pressure tested by me with 1.8 bars (18 metres), which is overshot, but yeah, why not?

The disassembly is completely destructive. You have to break it open by cutting off the front panel. So it is a one-way ride.

The modification is not for everyone, but once I decided to have a Manticore as my main detector for a while, I am getting rid of any worries this way. (I am always hunting in water, at least chest deep).

• Like 4

I've always liked how Seaghost moved all buttons to the front.  It shows how easy it would have been to do and seems a better placement to me.

• Like 2

Interesting. I'm a water hunter too but I'm not worried about leaks on Manticore so far. (1 1/2 years use) I can see this would be useful to a scuba diver who may want to go beyond 16 feet, but not having the vibrate feature may disappoint them. I couldn't find a website for the company, only Instagram. Do they state a depth rating for it? I know you said you tested, but was wondering how deep they say it can go.

4 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Interesting...

Seaghost is a one-man show. I heard he planned to set up a webpage, but probably never did. You can get in touch with him on Instagram if needed....

Officially, the box is good for 10m, but the limitation is not related to how sturdy the construction is but rather to the membrane type keypad (falce triggering when you go deep enough).

• Like 2

Did you send the detector to him for the mods or did you purchase it and do it yourself? If I remember correctly he is located in Ukraine? I would rather not send anything to Ukraine with the war over there, but would definitely be interested in purchasing the case for installing as soon as the warranty is up on my manticore. If you did the mod, does he include detailed instructions? Thanks for any info!

Matt, you're right, Seaghost is based in Ukraine.

This particular detector from my first post was shipped to Ukraine to be rebuilt. (Not the first one I've sent from the time the war barked down.).

But the whole point is to make the box suitable for self-assembly: there are standard FPC cable connectors for the coil and the audio. There are only four wires to solder onto the board.

I have two Manticores and two Seaghost housings for myself to modify. I will try to shoot a "how-to" video on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1