Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Ordinary Rock Collections

We call an interesting rock an F.L.R. (funny looking rock) my wife and I have collected FLR's for years last time when we moved house they were a real headache to pack and move I reckon there is 3 tonne of them.

My favorite's are rocks that are close to a perfect sphere they are very rare.

But we will collect any that look like somthing too or mineral specimens.

• Like 1

Its hard for me not to come home or back to camp without a rock or two.  I'm always keeping an eye out for the unusual or nice specimens of an area.  I've never tried the sexstone line of thought ;) but I get funny enough looks when people ask me about leaverite.

I started out as a kid collecting rocks. First thing that happens if everyone wants to give you rocks and they pile up fast. I drew the line early on at only rocks I found myself, as it is the finding I enjoy most. Even then they piled up. When I left Alaska I had a lot to either dispose of or ship.

I went to a rock show and sold 3/4 of the stuff I had and the 1/4 that was left I donated to the rock club. I only shipped maybe 20 lbs south, pretty much all gold ore. With a clean start I am being choosy these days, but did bring home a nice piece of agatized petrified wood the size of a loaf of bread last summer and put it in my garden near the front door. No doubt more will be added with time.

• Like 2

My wife and I have made it to all 50 states and 7 Canadian Provinces. I think we managed to come home with a rock from every one. The biggest problem was, we should have marked each one with the location of it's origin.  We sold our home a couple of years ago to my youngest daughter and now my wife usually brings a souvenir rock home from there 

• Like 2