Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedDirtDigger

Gold From Every State?.... USA ..... Australia

6 posts in this topic

Principal Gold-Producing Districts of the United States

The text above has the details but here are a couple charts from the report to get you started. I have found gold in Alaska, Arizona, California, and Nevada but that's not unusual. In addition to the states listed detectable gold could be found in Georgia plus possibly in any northern state where glacial age deposits are found. Also, the ranking is only through 1965 and includes hard rock mining so is not directly indicative of the chances of finding nugget gold. Again, refer to the text for details.

IMG_0309.PNG

IMG_0310.PNG

3 people like this

Although the US has a few large states, as a whole, most of the states of the US are much smaller than the states of Australia. The US states include a number with very unfavorable geology - just as parts of Australia are unfavorable for gold. If one updated the chart that Steve posted to include the last 50 years, Nevada would be the leading producer - the Carlin district alone has produced roughly 100 million ounces - an amount about equal to the entire state of California up to 1965. Unfortunately, the great majority of Nevada production is microscopic in size. It processes great with cyanide, but you can't even pan out visible dust that can be seen with the eye, let alone nuggets large enough to detect. Some places in Nevada do produce coarse gold and nuggets, its just the majority is this microscopic stuff - and that is why the old timers missed it for the most part.

2 people like this

I have found natural gold in Ca, Az, NM, Co, Mt, Id and Or.  None in SD, Wa or Wy yet.

2 people like this

I am from Colorado originally. There's nuggets here but they are rare. I think there's a lot more here but the country is remote. The season is short, so it stays hidden. I am sure this is the scenario in many places around the world.

I have found gold in Alaska, Wyoming, Georgia, South Dakota, Montana, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico. 

With a detector I found nuggets in only Alaska, Wyoming and most recently New Mexico.  I did find nuggets in Montana and Georgia that are big enough to detect but I found them either dredging or highbanking. 

I tried extremely hard to detect a nugget when I lived in Georgia but they eluded me.  

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By tvanwho
      Hard Rock University
      http://www.hardrocku.com/videos
    • By tvanwho
      We all talk about gold and fault lines BUT how do you go about finding these fault lines exactly? 
      They are not shown on Topo maps that I know of. What maps should I be looking to acquire?
      What do they look like in person? Sharply uplifted rock areas I am guessing?
      -Tom
    • By Reno Chris
      Lithium. There are guys I know who have sold claim blocks for Lithium exploration within the last year. Half the dry lake beds in Nevada have been staked in the last year. Even the dry lake bed where they hold the Burning Man event. These things are related to spikes in commodity prices - lithium prices have been rising as demand for car and other batteries increase.  Look for an article on Lithium prospecting in this next issue of the ICMJ. If you don't subscribe, well, you should.
      On REEs, you are 5 years too late - they spiked 5 years ago and exploration companies were mad for potential REE properties. On the other hand, as I said you have to go against the flow, staking property when prices are bottoming and no one has any interest. REEs will spike again someday.
    • By rios
      Is there anyone out there who can interpret the result of a magnetic survey below? It terms of prospective gold mining.

• By idahogold
      From too much geology study 25hrs a week.worth of GeoBabble.  But Did Find a new spot to detect Today Without Snow.. Southfacing , near an area that I witnessed w crossbedding in sedimentary sandstone( all firsts for me! applying sedimentary petrology learned recently to the structure! i.e.roadcut of a maybe? To try and detect?  what appeared to me to be an ancient streambed covered by ash.....Any Thoughts out there Experienced Operators care to share any thoughts be appreciated....that you are willing to about this exposure...Eye didnt have darn camera and phone was dead. when i spun around and parked the Cherokee,. the gravel looked out of reach??? it was prob. and average of 6ft below the top of the bench...ancient stream..pinched out sitting up there 45ft. straight up.. and 6-10 ft. below the scrub grass bench Surface....the 100yd exposed roadcut seam is 2meters thick baseball, softball,football, size cobbles w/some soccerball size boulders.down below a 4-6ft.ashy yellowish peach crumbly rhyolite I also assume....? those 2 layers are  sittin ontop of the more "massive 40-50ft exposure of crossbedded sandstone!! It's Beautiful to Me and its color is Grey...was goin to try the .45 00 w/ the 20inch NF Round or the 14inch NF round? I havnt actually havnt swung any detector Ever" "yet" over a piece of 'Nativegold" I'm A Newbie only in the sense of never hada season or day " yet" of 8hrs inthe field or 24 or 72 straight... just plinking around while learning as much from the Forum as well as The Best Minelab Operator's and Geologists i could find! have theright gear and playing the Exploration Geo" wannabe First before I "breakdown in tears  and have to be a Spot Guy" and Go to Rye Patch... to get Lucky...for my first piece.(no offense) but  I'm more of a Pattern" Fisherman. And I'm Looking for Pounds Of Gold" Only place i can detect w/out snow for 100 miles...What Have I Got To Lose...Break myself in early.....where i wana go is 8 weeks to 4months before those areas open and the season begins for me....You Know  "The Start"! Share Anything You Want Even About Your "Start Preperations or Pre-tuning Your Gear or Your Head!
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I thought this footage might interest you. Shows the power of glacial ice movement. This is the Franz Josef Glacier on the West Coast of the South Island here in New Zealand. Although this footage is more of a glacier retreating but shows the movement of ice flowing like a river, a river of ice. Very powerful forces of nature. Mountain demolishes, grinding, crushing & transporting rock material many many miles from its source. Shattering, grinding & crushing gold bearing quartz reefs in the process & transporting & depositing the gold for miles. Even right down to the coast & out to sea, only to be washed up as  flour gold on the black sand beach leads. Glaciation has played a very important part in New Zealand of the freeing up of gold from the mountain reefs & depositing it up & down the West Coast & also through out Otago. Many gold deposits are in old glacial moraine deposits that have traveled many miles from where they originally came from. Massive amounts of this moraine material containing gold & gold quartz specimens just dumped when the glaciers came to the end of their advances. Like a giant bulldozer blade pushing all this material ahead of the tongue of ice (terminal moraine) & spilling out to the sides (lateral moraine) when the ice then just melted away leaving mountains of moraine debry with the gold all mixed up in it. Making it impossible to know where the gold originally came from. Known to the miners as glacial push material & often just pockets of it dumped & left in a totally foreign environment from where it came from originally. Once the moraine material was all worked out the gold just stopped being there. Crazy deposits.
      To go full screen click on the title at top left in the screen & that should take you through to you tube & then click on the little square box at bottom right.
      Keep watching. The second footage is the best.  Enjoy.
      JW