Quick Manticore Hunt

44 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

A quick Manticore hunt.... really quick 😄 Took it for a test drive in my (modern) back yard. I just couldn't wait until it was charged, so I took it out for about 10 minutes. It only has a slight charge of about 10 minutes before it shuts down. First impression on its build quality? For us old timers, all these new machines feel flimsy, and this is no different. I guess we are still lugging them old metal boxes around in our brain!  The Manticore is solid even though it feels very thin and light. I don't think there will be any problems with the build but I wouldn't use it to prop yourself up off the floor with it. It's not a cane. Nice and smooth and better built is what I get from it. The screen is nice and basic navigation is not a problem. I have not read the manual of had any directions in operating it yet. So it is intuitive. Now about those complaining about the nails reading like non ferrous targets? Yes they do  and that is because of the nature of iron. You can not preset a machine to knock out all the different iron encounters you may come across. But that is something that will involve some effort on your part in using the iron adjustments available for the advanced user. Just a guess, but I'm thinking after tweaking it, you will get better iron rejection from it. Also pinpointing the target to match where you heard the target will tell you if it's iron. If it pinpoints away from where you heard it, think iron. You will be using the 2D graph a lot to tell iron from non iron. I'm thinking if it's a solid line from a non ferrous number that continues to the upper iron section, then it's iron and its falsing component. If it were a non ferrous target near an iron target the I think you would see a break in the line between the non ferrous target and the line going upward into the iron section. My recommendations would be to go for the more solid hits that make a decent blob on the non ferrous line before trying to find those very iffy targets. So far I'm liking what I see. I hope I can at least get one decent day above 40 degrees to try it out before the massive cold air hits us here in New England. The only program I tried was the high trash one. If I get to a beach I will try a trashy one where I can get a lot of targets in a short span. That's it for now.

Congratulations on receiving your new toy. Thank you very much for posting and we look forward to your progress and your evaluation.

• Like 2

schoolofhardNox, did you just get this Manticore shipped to you?  If so, I'm wondering were this trickle of Maticores is coming from.  No new shipments have arrived from Minelab since December 12th.  Hmmm.

(Sorry I can't upvote anyone.  It seems I have used up my daily allotment of up votes.  :biggrin:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I hope I can at least get one decent day above 40 degrees to try it out before the massive cold air hits us here in New England.

Don't worry.  The mob with the torches will take pity on you, and the hot tar is quite comfy even in that approaching weather system.

Thanks for the early, honest assessment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, GB_Amateur said:

Don't worry.  The mob with the torches will take pity on you, and the hot tar is quite comfy even in that approaching weather system.

Being the mob leader, GB, I'm sure schoolofhardNox will take comfort in your pity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PSPR said:

schoolofhardNox, did you just get this Manticore shipped to you?  If so, I'm wondering were this trickle of Maticores is coming from.  No new shipments have arrived from Minelab since December 12th.  Hmmm.

(Sorry I can't upvote anyone.  It seems I have used up my daily allotment of up votes.  :biggrin:)

It's from the original shipment I'm assuming . I found a place that had 1 in stock. It was shipped to me and I received it yesterday. Just had a chance to put it together and try it today.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You have a strong point on the hot tar issue 🤔 I may take you up on that. I may get one hunt in before it gets real cold for a while, So I'll post when I can. Hopefully someone in a hotter climate can shed some better light on it.

Ah, so searching dealers for a Manticore turned one up, eh!  Good work.  I tried that a bit but didn't turn one up.   It shouldn't be too much longer anyway and we are going to get some real cold weather (for Texas) here in a few days, too.  Maybe I should book a vacation to Florida for my wife and I.  Florida is wonderful in the winter - especially on the beach.

One thing to remember about hot tar.  It becomes cold tar in cold weather and when tar gets cold it is like being incased in a block of coal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PSPR said:

One thing to remember about hot tar.  It becomes cold tar in cold weather and when tar gets cold it is like being incased in a block of coal

But I can burn the coal and stay warm .... I'll be real warm then 😧😄

5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

But I can burn the coal and stay warm .... I'll be real warm then 😧😄

I don't see that as a good idea.  But, I'm sure GB would lend you his torch as he watches your Manticore for you.  :laugh:

• Haha 1