Best Pinpointer For The Manticore

Ringtail

I believe I saw your old White’s TRX selling on eBay for $499 😃

• Haha 1

I have a plethora of them.  My favorite is the TRX but it has started to go bad and has let me down a couple times now. It started to "hang up" while beeping on a target and wont quit beeping until you turn it off and or remove the batteries. The first time it did it I thought the batteries were bad. Replaced batteries and it did it again not long after.  So I finally retired it.  The Garrett Pro Pointer AT is what I have now.  It works decent and is my main probe.  I have a XP MI6.  It works great when paired to the Deus because of the extra sensitivity modes for it while paired.  As a stand alone unit with other machines like the Manticore...even on the highest setting, it basically requires you to nearly touch the tip to whatever it is you're trying to locate.  

The F-Pulse I have had two go bad for the same flaw and my buddies have had the same issue.  Similar to what I am seeing now with the TRX...they get "stuck" and will not quit sounding off.  Turn them off, back on, and they start sounding off as soon as you turn them on.  Fisher sent me new ones but I eventually parted from those.  One of my buddies has the Teknetics version of the F Pulse and hasn't had any trouble with his and has had it since they came out.  

The Minelab pinpointers...I was excited about those when they first came out but I was not impressed.  Probably my most disliked Minelab product to date. 

Just my 2 cents.  

I think your XP Pinpointer is faulty Danial, mine XP Mi4 has excellent depth and sensitivity, and that's using it with any detector, It doesn't have the pairing functionality.  It doesn't sound right yours needs to nearly touch something to signal on it. 

Both my TRX's do that lock up thing, common fault it seems.

I completely agree the Minelab Pro-Find35 is a rotten pinpointer, worst pinpointer I own, a true embarrassment for Minelab.  They should be ashamed to put their brand name on it and that's me being nice to it, I'm on my second one and the second one was no better than the first so I gave up getting it replaced a 3rd time, and Minelab seem to think my complaints with it are normal behaviour when I contacted support about it.  My dealer tried another one in the shop and it did the same thing too.  Makes it very difficult to use as if you lift it out of the hole it starts going off and you have to power it off and on to get it stable again or it misbehaves.   I can only run it on lowest sensitivity then I may as well use a cheap $10 Chinese pinpointer which gives better performance.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

.... I completely agree the Minelab Pro-Find35 is a rotten pinpointer, worst pinpointer I own, a true embarrassment for Minelab.  They should be ashamed to put their brand name on it and that's me being nice to it, I'm on my second one and the second one was no better than the first so I gave up getting it replaced a 3rd time, and Minelab seem to think my complaints with it are normal behaviour when I contacted support about it.  My dealer tried another one in the shop and it did the same thing too.  Makes it very difficult to use as if you lift it out of the hole it starts going off and you have to power it off and on to get it stable again or it misbehaves.   I can only run it on lowest sensitivity then I may as well use a cheap $10 Chinese pinpointer which gives better performance.

The Profind35 has a bad reputation even over here in France ...  My dealer told me that it is rubbish and doesnt want to sell them anymore . For some reason I have never had any issue with mine , may be I am lucky ... 🙂

Now I use a Quest Xpointer Max , for me the best pinpointer I have ever used . Lithium embedded battery, iron disc , small digital display . Very reliable and compact . However I have never tested it with a Mcore .

Just for giggles I put the MI6 and Garrett AT on a measuring stick.  I used a US copper penny as the test piece.  The MI6 is in "unpaired" max sensitivity mode.  It doesn't begin to make noise on the penny until the 1 inch mark and of course gets louder as it gets closer. So the "almost touching" thing is better than I thought.  It's better when paired with the Deus 2.  By comparison, the Garrett AT is straight out of the box sensitivity...whatever that is, and it starts sounding off at the 1.5 inch mark.  FWIW.

• Oh my! 1

Thanks everyone for your input, it was very helpful. I ended up buying the Garrett Pro Pointer X-link. It works great, is durable, and I like the option of using with the X-Link TR set. 
My detecting buddy called me yesterday, and after all these years he found the Whites TRX in his garage! So now I have a backup.

Ringtail

• Like 1

The Garrett AT Pro Pointer is what I use with all of my detectors. No real interference unless it is just too close to the coil on any of my machines.  In mineralized soil (or very wet soil), turning the unit On with it touching the bare soil will balance it & keep it from falsing. It becomes a habit after a while. I seldom have any problems.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 6:05 PM, Geordiedan said:

FWIW I'm using the orange carrot with my Manticore and it works perfectly. No interference/EMI issues etc all just works.

Hi,

Can you confirm that the Garrett Z link wireless pinpointer works with the Manticore?

Many Thanks

I've used the F-Pulse extensively with the Nox for the last 5 years. It *can* cause EMI - but you can completely mitigate it, if you do a noise chancel while the pinpointer is turned on.

I didn't have to ground balance my F-Pulse a single time - I use Eneloop rechargeables (IKEA version made in Japan). What I love about this pointer is, that it uses AA batteries.. and they last forever!

It's very fast and is most senitive on the tip, so it's easy to locate the target. It has a big power button.. you grab it and your thumb intuitively lays on the button.

It doesn't "like" foil / small aluminium bits.

My first impressions on the Mi6: It is slower somehow.. takes me longer to narrow down the target. Perhaps more sensitive on the side of the tip.

Compared to the F-Pulse, the power button is on the opposite side.. ok that's maybe a habit thing I guess, but drove me crazy the first few hours out 😂 The power button is smaller and not so easy to locate. As a surf hunter I'm a bit concerned, that the tether is attached to the screw cap (accidentally twist..) - but no long term experience here..

On the pro-side: You get spare parts for everything, so you can swap the housing, if you wore it through for example. It has 2 Tone-modes: Beep and continuous.