Sign in to follow this  
rodney edwards

Gold Bug 2 Speaker Not Working

I have heard of this happening. One possible cause is that the headphone jack is wired to the speaker such that inserting the headphones repeatedly may have caused a weak solder joint to separate. The Gold Bug 2 is relatively easy to open and inspect. If you are under warranty this would in theory be covered but the mailing cost and time may not be worth it. This thread describes how to open up the control box for inspection.

• Like 1

I've fixed many issues just like the one you mentioned.  You can do it.

• Like 1

Just thought of something that has happened several times over the years.  

A little information first:

The headphone port is designed to cut off the internal speaker when the headphone is plug in.  I've had several times where the speaker suddenly quit.  The problem was a small speck of dirt in the port causing the detector to cut off the speaker output.  My solution:

Shoot short burst of compressed air into the port hole, then insert the plug in and out.  Repeat and see if the problem is corrected.  Still no sound, then take apart and inspect the connection and the port .

Amazing what we forget.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By relicmeister
      So I went to top off the charge in my nox 800 and after connecting the magnetic cable I saw that the charging indicator light wasn't on or flashing. So I brushed off potential debris that might be keeping the cable from making connection and tried again. Same thing. I checked on my wm08 module and it started charging. I tried my other cable and same thing also. I checked the contacts and  surfaces on the cable and the detector and looks fine, just not working. So I did a factory reset- that didn't fix it either.    Has this happened to anyone? Am I missing something? I've already emailed customer service 
      i last had 2 of 3 bars on my charge level so I'm leaving it connected to the charger overnight and will check if it's still 2 bars. 
      Quite an annoying situation, but it is the first issue I've had with it to date. 
    • By midalake
      If you are using the WM08 AND the minelab waterproof cable, AND black Widows or Sun Ray phones and you "think" you are having performance issues please let me know!
    • By Dan(NM)
      Looks like I'll be sending my new Nox in again for repairs. It was replaced 6-7 weeks ago because of a faulty power button, now it won't charge. I tried doing a reset, I tried another charger and nothing. It goes straight to a solid green light and will not charge. So, once again off to Minelab for I'm sure another new control housing.  I may have 20 hours of use on this one, I've charged it 2 times before it quit charging. Not a happy camper as I had a weekend hunt planned coming up in 11 days.
    • By Jin
      Lately, I've been experiencing the coil overload problem. Its hard to say whats causing it but it happens often. Probably not the best thing to do but I tend to slightly lean on the detector as I'm digging a target with the coil firmly against the ground. I've done this for a while with no problems before. It only shows the overload signal or shuts down when the coil is pressed against the ground. I've noticed it happens when using different coils as well. The only thing that has changed recently is the settings I use. I often have the rx gain flat out at 15 (gpx 4500) and other setting quite high also. Is it possible that the more extreme settings (when the coil is in contact with the ground) are the cause or is likely a problem with the machine? 
    • By Norm S
      I sent my F-Pulse back for a full refund. It had to be defective and I just didn't like it. Not knocking something that didn't work because I have read many positive reviews and if Steve H says it's good I am sure it is. I am just not going to risk waiting for another one.  Profind 35 here we come
    • By Dan(NM)
      After getting my RMA# and printing out the return label, I noticed the package is being shipped back to Naperville Il. instead of the repair center in Pa. The on/off button is difficult to operate, you have to manipulate it just right to get it to engage. I take it that it's going to be replaced rather than having the repair center take a look at it. Not complaining, just making an observation.