Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Whats Wrong With My GPX 5000

I bought this GPX 5000 second-hand and when I first had it it worked fine, but now when I turn it on it doesn't seem to be able to detect any signals. If I wand it over a large piece of metal it just about detects it and if I turned the unit on and off it seems to improve it. Could it be the coil?
I've made a video :

It's not a Chinese copy is it?

• Like 1

There's a post june 10, 2014 by Reno Chris in minelab metal detectors titled .... if Your GPX Appears Broken, Try This.....where he explains how to do factory reset.

• Like 1

Still reckon it could well be the power cable as i mentioned on FB,wow £42 for a cable thats crazy.

• Like 1

I've just done a factory reset and it's still not working. All I'm getting is the hum from the threshold and if I put it over a large metal object I get a signal but if I put over a coin on the floor it sees nothing.

I'm going to make a little short video to be put out on Saturday morning about my progress to fix it.

I was not able to get out today because we've had heavy rain and I'll probably do a live broadcast tomorrow night.

Hi Cleggy, welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would try is a factory reset then setup using basic settings.  The owner of this forum, Steve Herschbach, has instruction here:

• Like 1

Try a different coil...if the result is the same it is the control box...

I always had a spare power cord...they are a weak link, especially the way some use them.

If it is the coil you can repair it yourself if one of the wires is broke at the connector.

fred

• Like 2