Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Digging Tools

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

yes, their design looks slightly better

04222005_025_2048x2048.jpg?v=1438178201

They make the bent little pipe that holds the shovel to the handle shorter, less chance of bending that way.  It also means their weld is more effective at holding it straight.

Either way, my one will be just as strong as that if not stronger now with it's mod, I sent it to hell and back testing it yesterday and it's still going strong, I basically tried to break it ?

I emailed them to show them what happened on a shovel only a couple of weeks old, they have yet to reply.

Your mod does look rock solid, should last. I have the Predator Tools model and it’s still going strong after 12+ years of use. Mr. Lesche is the owner of the company and still manufactures his original and iconic hand digger in addition to a variety quality shovels. He did start the company you bought from many years ago but has not been associated with them for years. I have a couple of his products and they are all very well made. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Simon

Why do you need a spam box?  haha

Treat your email inbox like a nugget patch.  You have to read EVERYTHING.  You'll know it is trash as soon as you see it and you'll never wonder if you passed up on a nugget.

Thanks for the follow up.  Will the replacement be the same design?

Mitchel

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of the discoveries generated from this thread is that George Lesche's designs were bought by another company (or maybe they bought him out) and they still use his name to sell the tools.  However, there are some differences from the original.  In the meantime George Lesche got involved with a different company (possibly his or his family's) called Predator tools.  Here's a video of their small ('hand') diggers:

Note that this new(er) company makes the same or very similar tools.  (Note also that they've lowered their prices on some of their tools since this video was made.)  In particular, note the rivets in the sheaths at their most vulnerable spot.  That's something the spinoff/buyout company skimped on, and it matters, as shown below.

Lesche_sheeth_2.thumb.JPG.3d88e57e94ac283044d7a8b0c84462fc.JPG

Also shown is a (spinoff) Lesche tool in a different brand's leather sheath, complete with multiple rivets!  You can buy just the sheath from Serious Detecting or you can get the sheath and Treasure Wise tool, if you prefer that style of digger.  In my case I already have three of the spinoff Lesche diggers so not interested in buying a 4th right now.  If I knew then what I know now I'd just buy from Predator Tools (from the real George Lesche) and get a genuine Lesche hand tool with the higher quality nylon sheath (with rivets).  But the Treasure Wise sheath is quite affordable and of high quality construction which hopefully will last a lifetime.

• 1 month later...

That is awesome service, and I know sometimes we get forgotten about down in this part of the world.  Heck even some local companies aren't that good.  Any good service deserves to be mentioned.

• Like 1

Simon, 

Your shovel is listed under "Nursery  Landscaping  Tools" on their site!   How the heck did you end up there, to get a "detecting" shovel??? ? 

My  "Ball Handle" is right next to it! But i got mine from a detecting site!!

"Inquiring minds want to know"??

Ah yes, i remember reading that now!  Interesting that they found them as a supplier! 

Thanks!

Go find us some more silver now!! "Surfer"   (and nuggets)!??

• 1 month later...

Wow, that would be frustrating.  Looks like UPS left it sit in New York for four weeks.  That's just unacceptable.  Priority Mail is supposed to be one of their quicker services and usually is domestically.

At least it's finally at the Newark airport.  That's a big hub for UPS international.

Who knows how many stops it will make on the way to you, but at least it's moving.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:54 PM, phrunt said:

Is Postal Product: Priority Mail International Parcels a good service or is it a super slow one?

On 6/28/2020 at 10:37 PM, CmonNow said:

Looks like UPS left it sit in New York for four weeks.

Actually "Priority Mail International Parcels" are part of the United States Postal Service (USPS), not United Parcel Service (UPS).  Two very different companies but easy to mix up.

Here is what a Google Search says (directed to USPS site?

Priority Mail International® service is a reliable, cost-effective way to send documents and merchandise to more than 190 countries. Priority Mail International offers outstanding value and is priced lower than our competition's published rates for international shipping.

• Average business day delivery of 6 to 10 days. (Average number of days may vary based upon origin and destination.

Simon, you may have suffered from the pandemic side effects or maybe just from poor service.  I had a package make it to my local post office (meaning all they had to do was load it into the delivery vehicle to get to my house) and it sat there 4 days.  Unfortunately these kinds of things happen, and although there is typically no (legitimate!) excuse for it, I also think there isn't much you can do.

Postscript:  actually I didn't put the sad face emoji in this post but apparently the detectorprospector.com website editor did it for me, and appropriately.  It's a lot smarter than I thought!  Steve, maybe there's a new revenue source -- very intelligent editing.  :laugh:  (Ok, this one is my doing.)

I had a problem similar to that when I was shipping some items out. Seemed the TSA might be flagging it or customs so it's going around in circles and back to the sender. Was it sent so you pay duty fees or is the factory just sending it out? Thinking it wasn't declared properly when sent.

I would like to ship my diggers out internationally but don't want to run into the same issue with customs. What is ironic is they flag a garden tool but have allowed the majority of fentanyl to be shipped from China into the USA without question!!! Figure that one out.