Curious Minelab 540 Question

i know this detector is turn on and go i find very little searching the net about this detector....except for the bad chargers   or the ground ballance glitch ...so heres my few questions  how would i tell if my detector has the glitch   when searching in all metal horseshoe button   does it mater what program iam in   any info thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There are several discussions on the Vanquish on this forum:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/search/?&q=Vanquish 540&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

The 'glitch' is a bit of a misnomer and it affects all Vanquish detectors.  It has to do with a low ferrous signal (ID -9 to maybe -4) in certain soils and certain situations which are not caused by targets.  There is an easy work around if that happens (except for the 340 model in which notching is coupled with the modes) by notching out one or two of the lowest discrimination notches, as shown in the VDO below. You won't be able to use the horseshoe button in this case as it uses no discrimination, but you can save a discrimination pattern (along with the Mode) with all segments accepted except the lowest one or two notches in the Custom mode and use that as a horseshoe.

The modes differ mostly by the recovery speed and the default notching.  The horseshoe button merely turns all the notches on using the mode you're in - the recovery speed, which is baked into each mode, doesn't change.

I think that the Vanquish are excellent and fun detectors that should work fine in all but the most difficult grounds.  There are several Vanquish users on this forum that use and appreciate the Vanquish series who are way more experienced than I am and may be able to comment some more (or correct me).

• Like 1