Hello All! New To This Forum Not Metal Detecting. Need Some Assistance With Jetco Mustang

Welcome to the forums, seems like you have a couple of hours under your belt šŸ™‚

For the knob, old plastic can be fragile. If there is no set screw on the side then it is probably just pushed on and the shaft probably has tines. You could test some mineral oil and see if it reacts to the plastic. If it doesn't then maybe put a couple drops on the shaft with the knob facing downward and let it sit there for a day or so to creep in. Personally I would leave it alone unless I had a spare to replace it with.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advice on theĀ removal of the Jetco knob...It's been awhile since I replied on this, so much going on now days that I assume we are all aware of.

Anyway...The knobĀ should have, I repeat, should have,Ā  pulled right off. This wasn't the case with this one. It almost seemed welded on. The fellow who gave the detector to me rented a house from me & kept it in the garage, when he moved he asked if I would like to have it & I told him sure & it just stayed there in the garage since 1996. At the time I turned it on and it worked. This fellow installed stereos in vehicles for a living & he might have put some kind of King Kong super glue on it.

I had to eventually give in & cut it off so I wouldn't tear up the spline or even the plastic housing, however, before doing so I checked online to see if any similar knobsĀ were available & there are hundreds available.

I'll eventually get it up & going again here pretty soon so it canĀ once again detect a half-dollar with no more then a thin coating of dust...

Thanks again to All!