Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Your Techniques For Trashy Tailing Piles

Paul

I have the counter weighted carbon fiber shaft and love it, balances it nicely.

Norm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skookum said:

That's it. The price was right and I was in a rush. ?. The downsides are that it’s an extra tool to handle and it’s not a neodymium magnet. The upsides are that it is cheap, it can be used while standing, it is easily pushed into and through loosened dirt. It got the job done nicely. 

How about just getting the same size round neodymium magnet and just let it attract to the magnet on the bottom of the one you bought?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

How about just getting the same size round neodymium magnet and just let it attract to the magnet on the bottom of the one you bought?

Yes.  That may be a decent idea.  I believe some of those circular K&J magnets have a #10 countersunk hole.  I haven't gone as far as taking the screw out of the Harbor Freight magnet to size it up.  There is something to be said for not to having to kneel down for every flake of iron.

• Like 1

I've wondered about coating them with either silicone or epoxy.  Supposedly, once the nickel/copper coating wears off the magnets will degrade.  I haven't ever seen anybody coating his or hers though.  Maybe someone with more experience here has.  

Two part epoxy ‘J-B Weld’ works great to attach and coat rare earth magnets to picks, rakes and other tools. After a lot of use the J-B coating will wear thin but it can be built up with a fresh layer.

Have a good day,
Chet

i was meaning a plastic cover of some type you could just pull off and the rash would come off with it-- i have stuck trash in my hands a few time getting the metal off my pick magnet-------ziplock would tear too easily---

or maybe wear a dang glove Paul!

I do wear gloves all the time while detecting. They protect fingers as trash is slid sideways off of the powerful magnet. Some small black sand and tiny particles remain with no problem except appearance.

• Like 2