Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

First Minute First Target

3 hours ago, 1515Art said:

...By the time the medics got there I was feeling better don’t know if it was the jerky or if I got my self dehydrated?

Could you have had a reaction to the puncture wound?  I realize from your description it was a few hours after that incident that you passed out.

Good to know you survived and are on the mend.  It doesn't take much imagination to realize it could have been a lot worse.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Ouch on that one!  

How is the hand?

OK now just a tiny bit sore I really don’t notice it much, the next morning I was a bit concerned I could feel it almost up to my shoulder and it was swollen No unusual colors so that was good thought about going to the doc and by the next day it was a little better, another lesson stay clear of the big spines?,lol.

38 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Could you have had a reaction to the puncture wound?  I realize from your description it was a few hours after that incident that you passed out.

Good to know you survived and are on the mend.  It doesn't take much imagination to realize it could have been a lot worse.

I poked my hand in the early morning I was concerned there could be some allergic reaction thing, don’t know. Medics thought it was dehydration I drank at least a half gallon of water and a thermos of coffee, wore a big ol ladies sun hat from Target I cut the band off and had a evaporation scarf to keep me cool, I was comfortable all day? The jerky was on the moist side and sat in the Jeep in 100 temps for a week and sure came on like food poisoning? Vision changes were similar to one time a while back I accidentally ate some leftovers that had gone bad along with everything going grey the last time that hit my vision want fuzzy low definition amber too along with my blood pressure dropping, guess I’ll be more careful with my snacks...sure was tasty sweet spicy jerky. 

this is a really comfortable hat!

A571EB5A-702E-4BC3-AB7C-50173315DA62.thumb.jpeg.67921c79e066566a07a5d89f6d1f5972.jpegC72211AD-1B21-4470-9AD0-71D2EC3ACC0F.thumb.jpeg.7d36239e90ef9938665a3e85fabd502f.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, I really don't know what to say.  If I lived as 'close' to GB as you do I'd be out there a lot too.  It seems you are detecting the more challenged locations to find what a coil was not over.  The steepness and loose rocks can be too much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It seems you are detecting the more challenged locations to find what a coil was not over.  The steepness and loose rocks can be too much.

All but 1 have been in washes and most of those with the exception of 1 other under shrubbery But the hunting has Been tough 14 hour nonstop days, I just have been going slow listing for those faint sounds I hope others have missed I still don’t know my way around enough to find my own spots hope to do that a little soon like to find us a virgin patch out there someplace. I also joined gpaa and mpa next week I’m going to try out one of the gold basin MPA claims has some nice washes visible on google earth and it’s located more on the western edge, if its any good I’ll let you know where. It is nice being only a couple hours away be even better if I can find a little off road camping trailer I can tow behind the Jeep so I can spend a couple days at a time and hit some completely new spots.

• Like 1

There is a wash on the eastern part of the GSSN claim and then you go over to the MPA.  There have been some half ouncers found over there in the past.

When I was last there I chatted the drywashers there and they were finding nuggets down deep with their detectors and getting good fine gold too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1515Art said:

of the gold basin MPA claims

When you gents talk about gold basin I wonder how big it is...and therefore I suppose how thrashed it is.  10,000 acres?   150,000 acres?  All claimed?  Some public?   Some private freehold? 

A lot of these club claims - what is an average size?  

NE   

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

When you gents talk about gold basin I wonder how big it is...and therefore I suppose how thrashed it is.  10,000 acres?   150,000 acres?  All claimed?  Some public?   Some private freehold? 

A lot of these club claims - what is an average size?  

NE   

The Gold Basin mining district is around 30 square miles A mix of public and private land most of the public land I’d imagine claimed at one time or another, I’m not sure how much of that is off limits now due to being inside lake Meade recreation area. The minimum Claim size I believe is 20 acres, some club claims are multiples of that however I’m newbie out here in the southwest desert so hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area chimes in. There is also the gold basin meteorite strew field that’s around 150 square KM and about half of that falls off limits inside the lake Meade national recreation area. Most of the public land has been under claim at one time or another its now a patchwork of active and inactive mining claims.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Gold Basin mining district is around 30 square miles

Cool, thanks.  20,000 acres is a reasonable size bit of land but then I suppose it sees a decent number of people and has done for a long period of time.  

5 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

The minimum Claim size I believe is 20 acres

Probably OK to keep a couple of people busy for a few weekends a year.  I would guess most are there to enjoy a hobby rather than seriously 'mine' their bit of gold basin dirt considering there are mostly only crumbs left behind?  

Club claims certainly give you guys somewhere to go which is nice.  We are very lucky in Victoria, Australia that there is quite a bit of public lands (currently) available to prospect on.  Private land is sometimes hard to get access (depends how you approach the owner or who has done the wrong thing in the past) and there are quite a few Heritage areas, reserves and National/State Parks that are off limits.  I assume that will increase in the future.  

• Like 1