Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

New Sand Scoop From Nokta Makro

On 11/7/2020 at 7:17 AM, Carolina said:

This would never hold up to water hunting. Dry sand only would be my guess.

I will say there are a lot of people using the Nokta/Macro sand scoop on beaches I personally know 4 people that detect salt water beaches and have that particular scoop and the four people I know love them, I would not use mine in a area with a lot of rocks but wet sand I would not be afraid of it breaking, just my opinion as I do not detect wet salt water beaches, it is well made is all I will say and serves me well for what I purchased it for which is tot lot sand boxes

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

I just checked out the Stealth 720i or 920i. These scoops also have thin areas of metal between each hole. So, It appears thin metal between holes can still be a popular sand scoop.

So far, speculation on Notka's scoop not being sturdy has not been proven by a user with experience here, using it, AND an other brand for comparison. 

The one video I saw it was used in harsh oceanside beaches with mostly gravel. He has used several scoops and they wore out. He said this scoop was surprisingly sturdy. He used it for several trips and it did a good job and looked un fazed. So, I'm hoping, in my mild sand, it will be a good fit. Notice that the scoop itself, is replaceable. I know it wont last forever. Things wear out. It's nice to be able to keep the handles. And, the angle can adjust for the best work angle. It is an interesting looking tool. I will reserve judgment until put to actual use.

I do appreciate the opinions. I am just trying it out. Hopefully, in my area, it's the ticket!

The Stealth scoops have many models. Some have 7/16th holes only or hybrid models, with the rear of the skin with slits, others with 1/8th inch holes. They offer different mouth openings also. They are 2mm stainless steel with a lifetime replacement warranty. Ruslan Stavrinskia from Odessa Ukraine makes several nice scoops in your price range I believe. They are known as Stavr scoops. They too are 2mm skins. There are many cheaper scoops made of 1 1/2mm stainless on the market.  All US made scoops fetch a higher price than those of third world countries. That’s not to say they are better, just the nature of the beast for many reasons. Here are some pics of scoops I have used over 30 plus years of water hunting. I hunt regularly 11 months of the year. The 3 scoops side by side get the most use. L to R, Stealth hybrid, DiAblo aircraft aluminum prototype, with a higher tensile strength of SS, the only scoop in the world with zero welds, and finally a Stavr scoop. They cover a range of strata from wet granular sand to gravel and shell to baseball size rock. I include a pic of one of the favorite Stavr scoops with 1/2” holes in the skin and a backplate with .35” holes. I think this scoop would serve you well. Also some more scoops used over the years. You can buy $80 scoops and others as much as $600 each. There is a wide variety offered. I wish you many years of success in the water. 

9DAD19C6-B2F2-4022-A705-64C4EFF52EB3.jpeg

D20D71A3-1E6E-44E1-A2D5-27D921BE8743.jpeg

C1BE5CEC-E8F5-40B1-A628-5938BB87B2D0.jpeg

It looks like your aluminum scoop is holding up well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

It looks like your aluminum scoop is holding up well.

4 years of regular use on this proto type. Lightest scoop I own also. I believe it’s 3440 aircraft aluminum.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carolina said:

DiAblo aircraft aluminum prototype, with a higher tensile strength of SS, the only scoop in the world with zero welds

Thanks for posting all this information, it is a wealth of knowledge! Is this Diablo scoop still made?  Also where are you getting your CF rods from? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, midalake said:

Thanks for posting all this information, it is a wealth of knowledge! Is this Diablo scoop still made?  Also where are you getting your CF rods from? 

This scoop is one of 3 produced all with the duck bill. Olebeechnut had the only titanium version and I believe a gentleman up north ( maybe surf digger ) has the other aluminum model. They are no longer in production. The engineer lost interest but still holds the patent. I have 3 cf shaft manufacturers. The ones in the picture come from SunSpot ( $150 ) I also have another from Steve’s detector rods ( $120 without the nylon navigational cap ) and a travel handle two piece from Stavr scoops ( I believe $120 also ).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Carolina said:

This scoop is one of 3 produced all with the duck bill. Olebeechnut had the only titanium version and I believe a gentleman up north ( maybe surf digger ) has the other aluminum model. They are no longer in production. I have 3 cf shaft manufacturers. The ones in the picture come from SunSpot ( $150 ) I also have another from Steve’s detector rods ( $120 without the nylon navigational cap ) and a travel handle two piece from Stavr scoops ( I believe $120 also ).

UGH, that scoop caught my eye. With my rough surf and soft sand, I am always looking for more bucket than bill.  

Nice collection!!!! 

• Thanks 1

I looked up some about that aluminum and it is tough. It looks like Diablo Sand Scoops aren't around anymore unfortunately that I can find.