Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

What Would You Be Willing To Pay For The Deus 2?

NCtoad

12 hours ago, lemarquez said:

I think this deus 2 is stillborn. Too expensive, no big innovations. I think that XP is completely wrong. Where brands like Minelab give access to simultaneous multi frequencies or Garrett with its Apex, XP still makes you pay full price. I live in France and I found a very interesting article about this machine. Sorry it's in French, but at least this blog is not linked to a store that sells this product and shows all the deceit of this detector. https://www.savoir-tout-sur-tout.fr/xp-deus-2-fmf-detecteur/

Hopefully some of your critique was colored by translation issues…..

I have always thought that the Deus 1 was overpriced by about $300 US. XP (much like Minelab in their gold prospecting detectors) charges a big premium for their software development and implementation. 

I agree with you that it is very good that Minelab and Garrett have given people with less money the opportunity to have entry level priced detectors with simultaneous multi frequency technology and Minelab still offers the Equinox 600 with plenty of features that make it a great detector at a great price. XP gave us the ORX but after using it for awhile, its very feature limited coin modes were just too much of a hurdle for me to deal with.

There are five areas from my experience that XP needed to really improve on the original Deus. Waterproof, better audio choices besides multi toned hybrid VCO, an updated remote control with larger display characters and much easier button operation, better salt beach and added saltwater operation and most of all much more accurate target ID on medium to deep targets especially in more mineralized ground/beaches.

The first three appear to have been addressed well, the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi frequency technology they have developed for Deus ll.

If all 5 of the weaknesses I mentioned are successfully addressed, XP has the right to charge $1200 to $1500 US for Deus ll. I am certain that many current Deus l owners and plenty of others in North America will buy one in that price range especially if there are Deus ll Lite options.

• Like 7

The difference in  pressure  between 3 meters and 20 meters is a lot. The 20 meter rating should help those who hunt in  surging waters.That insurance gives the  Deus 2   $ 250 in value in my  book over the Nox for waterproofing .The difference to me at this point is  $ 400 between the 2.If the single frequencies  are  better then the Nox in iron where you can tell the difference then that is over  $200 in value which will probably be the case since they have the  tech. If the machine  helps you    from not feeling sore because it is so light then that has to count for  something too.If the machine in MF is better then the Nox  in iron then you are getting a machine that is giving you what  you  paid for and maybe more.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2021 at 6:08 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I think this deus 2 is stillborn. Too expensive, no big innovations. I think that XP is completely wrong. Where brands like Minelab give access to simultaneous multi frequencies or Garrett with its Apex, XP still makes you pay full price. I live in France and I found a very interesting article about this machine. Sorry it's in French, but at least this blog is not linked to a store that sells this product and shows all the deceit of this detector. https://www.savoir-tout-sur-tout.fr/xp-deus-2-fmf-detecteur/

Hopefully some of your critique was colored by translation issues…..

I have always thought that the Deus 1 was overpriced by about $300 US. XP (much like Minelab in their gold prospecting detectors) charges a big premium for their software development and implementation. 

I agree with you that it is very good that Minelab and Garrett have given people with less money the opportunity to have entry level priced detectors with simultaneous multi frequency technology and Minelab still offers the Equinox 600 with plenty of features that make it a great detector at a great price. XP gave us the ORX but after using it for awhile, its very feature limited coin modes were just too much of a hurdle for me to deal with.

There are five areas from my experience that XP needed to really improve on the original Deus. Waterproof, better audio choices besides multi toned hybrid VCO, an updated remote control with larger display characters and much easier button operation, better salt beach and added saltwater operation and most of all much more accurate target ID on medium to deep targets especially in more mineralized ground/beaches.

The first three appear to have been addressed well, the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi frequency technology they have developed for Deus ll.

If all 5 of the weaknesses I mentioned are successfully addressed, XP has the right to charge $1200 to $1500 US for Deus ll. I am certain that many current Deus l owners and plenty of others in North America will buy one in that price range especially if there are Deus ll Lite options.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Deus 1 and your agreement with the previous comment. I can understand your perspective on the pricing of the detector and how XP may charge a premium for their software development and implementation.

It is indeed great that companies like Minelab and Garrett are offering entry-level priced detectors with simultaneous multi-frequency technology, and Minelab's Equinox 600 seems to be a good detector at a reasonable price. However, I can also see how the limited coin modes of the ORX could be a hurdle for some users.

I agree with you that XP should address the five weaknesses you mentioned in order to justify a higher price for the Deus ll. It's good to hear that the first three issues have been addressed, and the success of the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi-frequency technology developed for the Deus ll. 

I agree that if XP can successfully address these weaknesses, they have the right to charge a higher price for the Deus ll, and many current Deus l owners and potential customers may be willing to buy one, especially if there are more affordable options available. Thank you for your insightful comment!

1 hour ago, lemarquez said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Deus 1 and your agreement with the previous comment. I can understand your perspective on the pricing of the detector and how XP may charge a premium for their software development and implementation.

It is indeed great that companies like Minelab and Garrett are offering entry-level priced detectors with simultaneous multi-frequency technology, and Minelab's Equinox 600 seems to be a good detector at a reasonable price. However, I can also see how the limited coin modes of the ORX could be a hurdle for some users.

I agree with you that XP should address the five weaknesses you mentioned in order to justify a higher price for the Deus ll. It's good to hear that the first three issues have been addressed, and the success of the last two will depend on the quality of the simultaneous multi-frequency technology developed for the Deus ll. 

I agree that if XP can successfully address these weaknesses, they have the right to charge a higher price for the Deus ll, and many current Deus l owners and potential customers may be willing to buy one, especially if there are more affordable options available. Thank you for your insightful comment!

XP absolutely successfully addressed the five weaknesses I mentioned. It still has a few oddities like I wish they had changed the charging system more and I wish it didn't require an external antenna wire for submerged use. It also has some documented software issues that hopefully will all be addressed in the next software update.

Otherwise, the $1100 US I paid for mine which was a brick and mortar demo unit has been totally worth and it has almost paid for itself in finds. It is still just as good as it previously was if not slightly better in older site man-made iron trash and for ergonomics. Now however, it is SO much better for saltwater beaches and SO much better for modern North American aluminum and steel trashed areas. IDs accuracy is near the top of the list now instead of near the bottom in the dirt I hunt in. If XP improves gold prospecting performance it will be my new favorite detector for total versatility in almost any ground and water conditions.

• Like 1

It also has the arm cuff stand that doesn't reach the ground like the Deus 1 doesn't it? That's gotta be one of the biggest screw ups of a detectors design I've seen as it's so obviously a problem.

Just now, phrunt said:

It also has the arm cuff stand that doesn't reach the ground like the Deus 1 doesn't it? That's gotta be one of the biggest screw ups of a detectors design I've seen as it's so obviously a problem.

If they just added about an inch to the feet on the arm cuff the problem would be solved using the 9" and 11" coils.

I bought two of the 3D printed add-ons. Both broke within 10 hours of use. 

I made one from scratch out of PVC pipe (it doesn't look like Ridge Runner's...sorry Chuck) and it has held up fine for six months, no problem. Looks a bit gnarly but I don't really care.

DSCN0496.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

If they just added about an inch to the feet on the arm cuff the problem would be solved using the 9" and 11" coils.

I made one from scratch out of PVC pipe (it doesn't look like Ridge Runner's...sorry Chuck) and it has held up fine for six months, no problem. Looks a bit gnarly but I don't really care.

I need to get around to doing that for my Deus as the thing is a pain so I just lay it on it's side, I want to give it a fair chance as a prospecting machine, I don't like it as a coin machine in my conditions, that I'm confident of.  I wouldn't mind trying a Deus 2 out, but I just can't justify buying another detector as lately I'm more disappointed than I am impressed.  The Equinox and GPZ were the last times I was truly very impressed by a detector.   I hope to try a Deus 2 rather than buy a Deus 2 ? I hope to stumble into someone with one at some point, however unlikely that is around here.  Oddly even in the NZ Facebook groups the Deus 2 hasn't taken off, a couple of guys bought one but you don't hear much out of them as to how they're doing with it, one a beach hunter seems to be pretty happy with it.  

If it was cheaper I'd jump on it, but the pricing of these machines is getting ever so hard to justify when detectors from Turkey are so cheap for such good detectors.

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

If it was cheaper I'd jump on it, but the pricing of these machines is getting ever so hard to justify 

I'm 53 now, and in my younger years, my income was significantly higher than average. My main hobbies were metal detecting, Astronomy (not astrology!!!), computers, and generally anything electronic. The amount of money I wasted on buying the latest and greatest of those things, still makes me cringe to this day. In around my mid 30's my income increased even further, but thankfully, some wisdom increased as well. Since then, I came to the conclusion that best value for my money in any product was in the "mid price" range. The cheapest products may or may not work well, but regardless, they often didn't last long either. The most expensive products may work slightly better than the mid priced products, but it typically in no way justified such an enormous price increase, nor did it guarantee product quality.

In specific regard to metal detectors. Well, my current favorites given my desire for "value for my money", are the Vanquish line, and the Legend. In regards to the OPs question, I might buy a D2 if it was priced similar to the Legend, but then again, I probably wouldn't because there are a few things about the D2 that really annoy me, along with the ludicrous cost of their coils. The only way I would spend money on another detector, is if it's a true imaging detector, or it can differentiate between aluminum and gold (which can't be done with an induction balance detector).

17 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I don't think that looks gnarly at all.