What Would You Be Willing To Pay For The Deus 2?

NCtoad

3 hours ago, Digalicious said:

The OP's question was titled "What are you willing to pay for a D2". Does it not logically follow that the replies to such would include not just the reasoning behind what one would pay for a D2, but preferably give examples of that reasoning? As such, if those reasons include what they don't like about the D2, that's not bashing.

With that said, I think it's completely accurate for me to label the price of the D2's coils as "ludicrous", and for Phrunt to call the D2's stand a "screw up". If I was being even more blunt, I would label both as a "WTF??" 😁

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

Agreed, but that's only true to a point. There is also a huge aspect of, "They paid a lot of money for this detector, so they'll pay pretty much any price we set for the coils".

A good example of that, is another metal detecting company that I won't mention, charging significantly different prices for the same coils, based on the purchase price of the detector. 

The thread probably more properly belonged in the comparison forum but has existed here for nearly 2 years. 

I can sit here and go around and around on the basis for XP coil costs vs. other detectors, but frankly it's exhausting.  Do I think their price point is justified? Not necessarily.  Do I have some technical understanding of what drives their cost above conventional coils? Yes.

Regardless, the real point is that as a mod, I made a judgment call as to when I considered the thread crossed a subjective line and politely asked for the provocative critical language to simply stop, not the listing of grievances.  I am admittedly guilty of this occasionally and accept the recalibration when called on it and move on.  I politely ask you to do the same and not to ratchet it up further.

I ask this as a courtesy to forum members who are fans of the brand and as affirmation of the decorum that has been repeatedly affirmed and encouraged by Steve in the brand specific forums in order to discourage a descent into intimidation and trolling.

I did not ask to debate the merits of that policy or my call.

As I stated previously, feel free to extol the virtues of Legend in the Nokta forum and critically compare and rant about Deus coil costs vs. everyone else in the Detector Comparison Forum.  That's all fair game.

We can discuss it further offline if you wish.  But if you want to continue the back and forth publicly, I will lock this thread and you can take it up with Steve.

Thanks.

That's fine Chase, but my points about the Legend (note I mentioned the Vanquish as well), and my point about the coil cost, were only mentioned because they are my reasons and examples that directly relate to this thread.

It would pretty boring if people gave yes/no replies without any examples, context, or elaborations.

Like I said, this probably has more to do with the thread being in the wrong forum because the question naturally fosters critiques and debate and emotion.  The thing is, the context was different when first posed as neither Deus 2 nor Legend existed in the wild and all we had were marketing brochures and rumors. So...I'm considering moving it.  Or feel free to start a new related topic in the Comparison forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The Deus, ORX and Deus 2 armrest originally was on the XP Advantage (I think). Why XP hasn’t simply changed that 18 year old mold is a mystery. 

It's probably a combination of arrogance or hubris along with a misguided sense of "if it ain't broke..."  It's an annoying oversight but trivial in the sense that it is likely not affecting sales at all because people either just deal with it or home brew a fix. 

Hence Deus/Orx users are sending XP the message that its no big deal (similar to the wonky charge interface) so XP is not going to invest in change.

• Like 1

I'd be a bit embarrassed if I was producing detectors in this price range with an arm cuff stand that serves no purpose as it never reaches the ground and to replicate the mistake on their latest and greatest.... 

I completely understand though, I'm building a cabin at the moment, I'm no builder not even close but taking on the project as I love a good challenge and getting builders these days costs more than getting a heart surgeon as we're in the middle of a building boom that's been going on some time.  Either way, measurements tend to be where I go wrong, I check, recheck and check again and then cut in the wrong place, kinda like XP has done with their arm cuff feet, cut on the wrong marking making them too short by a few inches 🙂

For me I'd have to factor in the price of a better shaft like SteveG makes but they're mighty expensive, especially by the time I get it shipped from the US to NZ, I could buy another brands SMF for just the price of buying the shaft and shipping/taxes so I'd need to go more Jeff's PVC route.

Jeff's idea is great and I'm going to replicate it on my Deus 1 as all i do now is lay it on it's side, no point trying to stand it up so I'd like a solution, it does feel a bit like buying a new Mercedes and making it a plywood spoiler and bolting it on to make it look more like the sportier AMG model though. 🙂

I'm seriously considering a Deus 2 now with plenty of reports of it having good Target ID's, although I think I'll get one on the second hand market as I can't justify the new price, very few appear to have sold in NZ and I missed one that went up for sale that was virtually new with a good price reduction so hopefully another pops up at some point, no rush for me coming into winter.

• Like 1

I never felt like the ORX and Deus 1 were worth their MSRP due to the way they detected where I detect most often. 

Deus 2 on the other hand is worth every penny I paid for mine and will only get even better with the next update. 

• Like 5

I like old posts finding relevance again,and or providing insight to those reading from past to present looking for real answers.  I bought the deus 2 on ore-order, and I’d do it again at the good dealer price I got it for ($12xx).   I hunt old foundations filled with iron and this machine is able to sniff out the good stuff among it all.  You just need to be willing to experiment, observe, and learn. Give any detector those opportunities and you will have success.  Give a great detector those opportunities  and you’ll never stop being surprised.  

• Like 2

Here in Canada Ctx coils from. Both minelab and coiltek are $425- $490. All of the 3 available Deus II coils are $523 each. Considering that the Deus II coils are smart, wireless and have a battery inside, the price is more than resonable. Though, yes. I would still prefer they be cheaper!😁  Heck even the equinox's coiltek $373 and minelab 15" coil $314 are not that much cheaper considering they aint wireless or have no batteries to add to cost( not even going to talk about build quality). Maybe I'm just stuck in the cordless  comes at a bit of premium era?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, losfinders said:

Here in Canada Ctx coils from. Both minelab and coiltek are $425- $490. All of the 3 available Deus II coils are $523 each. Considering that the Deus II coils are smart, wireless and have a battery inside, the price is more than resonable. 

Well since you're at least the second person to mention the coil contents, I'm going to comment on it as well. Sorry Chase! lol

Wireless transmitters and receivers are dirt cheap. Ditto for the battery. Unless I'm missing something else, those two don't seem to be any justification for the high coil cost. 

31 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Well since you're at least the second person to mention the coil contents, I'm going to comment on it as well. Sorry Chase! lol

Wireless transmitters and receivers are dirt cheap. Ditto for the battery. Unless I'm missing something else, those two don't seem to be any justification for the high coil cost. 

XP Deus and Deus II coils are not simple "dumb coils" which only contain send and receive coil wires and copy protection chip, the signal processing is done in the coil so there is also a substantial processor in the coil as well as a wireless transmitter and battery. That's why they can make such tiny remote control like the WS6 earhpone module to control the processed information from the coils. The detecting power is in the coils, the audio processing and programing functions are done in the remotes.

• Like 3