Received My Bh-01 Bone Conduction Headphones Today

Steelheader

On 1/31/2022 at 9:08 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Think I found the correct fitting, see how well the bulkhead fitting I have coming works. If it works fine this fitting would be the one that is used to plug the bonephones into.. 

If it turns out that XP's BH-01 bone conducting headphones need more than a simple adapter to work with other machines due to the power supply issue, do you think it's feasible to create some sort of external battery pack to provide that power? It's not an ideal solution, but for us land hunters who want bone conducting headphones, this is the only reasonable option I've been able to find:

https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones-AS401XB/dp/B01N2OOJY8

And from what I can see, it's been discontinued. This also makes use of an external battery pack to supply the power needed to operate the special headphones.

Also, is it possible that certain 1/8 heaphone jacks could supply more power than others such that an external power supply isn't required? 

Actually....I'm evaluating the rc jack adapter as a possible trick to make a personal tuned headphone...

Once You cut away the female end with bare wires, life Is easier🔥.

At least for connections...

The big part of the work still remains to find really good stuff for speakers and to know how much power to put in the game.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:03 PM, mh9162013 said:

If it turns out that XP's BH-01 bone conducting headphones need more than a simple adapter to work with other machines due to the power supply issue, do you think it's feasible to create some sort of external battery pack to provide that power? It's not an ideal solution, but for us land hunters who want bone conducting headphones, this is the only reasonable option I've been able to find:

https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones-AS401XB/dp/B01N2OOJY8

And from what I can see, it's been discontinued. This also makes use of an external battery pack to supply the power needed to operate the special headphones.

Also, is it possible that certain 1/8 heaphone jacks could supply more power than others such that an external power supply isn't required? 

After testing on the Minelab Excalibur and the Fisher AQ Limited my conclusion .. Works great on the Fisher "AQ" but the Excalibur's 38mW's are not enough to hear what I want to hear. 

Will they work on other detectors, only if you have a killer audio like the ...J.W. Fisher X-8 ..  the "AQ"....and Deus2?

The Deus Bonephones are no different then the old single BP.. small piezo buzzers sealed for diving. No battery needed, just high audio output...... more milliwatts to match the design. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:28 PM, Steelheader said:

That is what I am hoping for.  That XP or someone else will make an adapter to convert the bone phone plug to a 1/8 plug for land use, so I can plug it into my ws6 puck.

I no longer do the work but I would recommend Tony Eisenhower could do you a adaptor. I can give you the part numbers you would need and the pin out of the BP's, the 1/8 mini jack he could track down for you.... Let me know.. 

7 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I no longer do the work but I would recommend Tony Eisenhower could do you a adaptor. I can give you the part numbers you would need and the pin out of the BP's, the 1/8 mini jack he could track down for you.... Let me know.. 

Can you list the part numbers so I could potentially make my own adapter so I could use these bone phones with an Equinox or other detector?

2 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Can you list the part numbers so I could potentially make my own adapter so I could use these bone phones with an Equinox or other detector?

What you need is a little different then Steelheader but this would work...

This would be the fitting you would plug into the Nox,

... than this fitting to fit..... to the end of it which you would plug the Deus bonephones into..PXPPVC08FBF06ACL010PVC ..this fitting comes installed to a 2m straight cable...which you can trim as needed.....the good is you can then adjust the Pin out of the Nox to the Deus2 bone phones when putting all together (If needed). Let me know if you need any help, I can send my phone number, thru messages here..

Also, remember the volume of the Nox would have to be very strong for them to work proper, And something I did notice, the volume is loud enough on the excalibur if I use them as ear phones.. but used as bone phones on the excalibur, I would say I lose about half of my audio. 

I do have a couple of audio amps around here that I could force the bone phones to work with the excal, Doc's treasure screamer amp.. may give that a shot just to see how that works.. 

Hope this helps, ask anytime..

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bulgin/PXPPVC08FBF06ACL010PVC?qs=eP2BKZSCXI4YouXyCIVmug%3D%3D

This one can be used also and cheaper..6 pin male M-8 code A ..but would need modified...to be used as a headphone fitting for the D2 or possibly Nox ......PXPPVC08FIM06AYT010PVC  https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bulgin/PXPPVC08FIM06AYT010PVC?qs=DPoM0jnrROVcDEcWfdxS4w%3D%3D

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

You will be using it on land only correct? Not submerged?

Got my Bone phones, know more once I get the M-8 6 pin bulkhead fitting. Audio seems a little low with the excalibur but I do need a good solid connection and some adjusting on my head, noticed when I move around they get louder. The pin out is...

And this is looking into the BP fitting.. 

InkedSNAG-0001_LI.jpg

No disrespect to my long time friend Joe, but this pin out will not work properly for hard wired phones. This pin out ( bone phones ) will limit you to square tones only. You will not be able to use PWM. You also will need to push the bone phone icon to get an audio response. There seems to be a wired set of phones model FX-03 but they are not available it appears. They may have been a set for the Deus but no one can tell me about either. Either there is a different pin out for wired phones (speakers) vs bone phones or the PWM will only work with the wireless phones. If you think about it, the bone phones would not be able to supply the nuances that the PWM offers where as speakers would. At least at this point that is my thinking. I have a set of pro gold phones wired now and they work fine on the square tones. Just no PWM available. I know Carter is working on a set of wired amphibians but have not talked with him yet to see if he has this same issue. Any help would be appreciated on the FX-03 pin out.

7 hours ago, Carolina said:

No disrespect to my long time friend Joe, but this pin out will not work properly for hard wired phones. This pin out ( bone phones ) will limit you to square tones only. You will not be able to use PWM. You also will need to push the bone phone icon to get an audio response. There seems to be a wired set of phones model FX-03 but they are not available it appears. They may have been a set for the Deus but no one can tell me about either. Either there is a different pin out for wired phones (speakers) vs bone phones or the PWM will only work with the wireless phones. If you think about it, the bone phones would not be able to supply the nuances that the PWM offers where as speakers would. At least at this point that is my thinking. I have a set of pro gold phones wired now and they work fine on the square tones. Just no PWM available. I know Carter is working on a set of wired amphibians but have not talked with him yet to see if he has this same issue. Any help would be appreciated on the FX-03 pin out.

The FX-03 are inexpensive wired stereo backpnes that use a standard 1/8" mini plug (you can see it in the pic below) and connects to the remote via the RC jack adaptor dongle that merely converts the multi-pin jack to a mini-plug compatible jack.  I am not sure, but I believe the limitation to square tones is not a pinout thing but simply a function of the limited "acoustics" of the XP bone phone design.  Note also, the FX03 don't appear to be water resistant in any way, shape, or form and if you get the jack-end of the adapter wet, especially with salt water, you will likely corrode not only the FX-03 plug over time but most like the internals of the adapter phone jack which is not sealed and looks like it would be difficult to flush with fresh water. Audio quality would likely suffer with ground loops,, shorting and other noise.  Would not recommend the FX-03 setup if getting the components wet is at all in the equation.  HTH

84793018_SmartSelect_20220221-165155_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.745f19675141d612186d637f11193860.jpg497781382_SmartSelect_20220130-141714_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.423cb1828c3dccaf13db6dd0a2560c8a.jpg

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

The FX-03 are inexpensive wired stereo backpnes that use a standard 1/8" mini plug (you can see it in the pic below) and connects to the remote via the RC jack adaptor dongle that merely converts the multi-pin jack to a mini-plug compatible jack.  I am not sure, but I believe the limitation to square tones is not a pinout thing but simply a function of the limited "acoustics" of the XP bone phone design.  Note also, the FX03 don't appear to be water resistant in any way, shape, or form and if you get the jack-end of the adapter wet, especially with salt water, you will likely corrode not only the FX-03 plug over time but most like the internals of the adapter phone jack which is not sealed and looks like it would be difficult to flush with fresh water. Audio quality would likely suffer with ground loops,, shorting and other noise.  Would not recommend the FX-03 setup if getting the components wet is at all in the equation.  HTH

84793018_SmartSelect_20220221-165155_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.745f19675141d612186d637f11193860.jpg497781382_SmartSelect_20220130-141714_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.423cb1828c3dccaf13db6dd0a2560c8a.jpg

Sent you a PM to help make myself better understood. Yes these pictures are in the manual page 44. I have talked to several dealers who surprisingly know nothing about them. If I can get my hands on that jack, I will cut the female plug off and ohm those wires to the pins. That will tell me what I need to know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

You will be using it on land only correct? Not submerged?

Got my Bone phones, know more once I get the M-8 6 pin bulkhead fitting. Audio seems a little low with the excalibur but I do need a good solid connection and some adjusting on my head, noticed when I move around they get louder. The pin out is...

And this is looking into the BP fitting.. 

InkedSNAG-0001_LI.jpg

Pins 4 & 5 are the bone phone connections. This limits you to square tones only. No PWM tones. Pins 1 & 2 are for wired phones which give you the option of Square tones or the traditional Deus PWM tones.

4937D144-8099-47AE-8ED9-30B444C7DFA1.jpeg