New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

2 minutes ago, Carolina said:

Has nothing to do with a perceived assault of the superiority of the Deus ll detecting ability. Others have tried to explain to you, from day one, it is simply a jab at a truly funny name for a metal detector. And no one can compare the two detectors as one is out in the wild and one is not. Most everyone no matter what they swing agrees, it’s a weird a$$ name. 😃

I believe ya!  I said I was just messing with ya. :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steveg said:

Chase,

Thanks for the info.  So, it's not as simple as x,y coordinate pairs being plotted on an x,y coordinate system, with x and y representing two specific characteristics of the target.  It's quite a bit different, actually.  Hmm...

I don't like that idea, as -- for instance -- it's more like having to simply "memorize" that a "spiral shape" means "difficult to reject" items, and a "lower left to upper right" oval shape means "coin," without a more clear, direct, logical relationship between what is being plotted, and what it says about the target.  It seems "abstract," and harder to understand "linearly" or "logically," as compared to plotting an FE,CO coordinate pair...

In any case, thanks for the info!

Steve

Not exactly. From what I have seen, e.g., foil for instance will show non-fe but it will be a scattered unstable figure on the screen, on the other hand a coin in the same quadrants will be more uniform, stable, straighter, and narrower in shape. I think it is a great visualization. If it had better gold sensitivity, I would forget about the Manticore. The other thing is some people claim they are playing too much "Deus 2" (programming) than actual detecting. I'm not sure if you can set the programs and they remain, or if you have to go through all the steps to get what you want every time you turn it on?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PSPR said:

I think most here with a new D2 would probably do the same.  You can't just go around dropping $1600 every time a new detector comes on the market.  If I had bought a D2 I wouldn't be in the market for a Manticore right now either.  But I do think giving silly names to detectors you have no intention of buying is a bit childish.  Should we call the Deus II the Dump2?  LOL  (Just messing with ya)

this is similar to my situation with my current motorcycle (Honda CB500X) purchased March, 2021. I always want  (salivate over) various new ones that come out! but it just isn't practical especially here in Canada (various egregious dealer fees, very high insurance fees and Canada even charges 13% tax on used motorcycles, pretty bad.... but dang the new ones are very nice, lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PSPR said:

That's interesting.  One would have to experiment with it to see if it has value.  Since the oval isn't always an oval it could provided some very useful ID info.  Funny that nobody ever talks about this.  I didn't even know the Deus II had this feature.

So does the original Deus. 

Chase and I own the Equinox, Legend and Deus 2. We know how good they really are. We aren’t likely to snap at you for taking a jovial swing at any of them. Others on this forum might however especially some Deus 2 high powered owners or people who are going nuts waiting for their beastie. So get ready to duck if you disparage Deus 2 or the Mantis.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PSPR said:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the battery life of the Manticore on the Minelab website specs has been changed from 9 hours to 10 hours.  I guess 9 hours sounded too short.  I doubt there has been any physical change to the detector reflecting that change.

There may or may not be a physical change, but they may have optimized code to realize this change. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rled2005 said:

50 tones are a bit too much for me. It’s like a hot rod rumbling as it idles, then when you get a target, it’s like the hot rod engine revs up. For me, it’s distracting. I like to silent search until I get a target.

I have detecting friends that are hard core Minelab users and they've been very successful on the FBS machines in full tones, especially when sifting through trash and locating deep turf silver other machines walked over.  When I got the Equinox I was coming from three and four tone detectors, but forced myself to use full tones.  It took a while, but it really helped to sniff out deep silver and relics at sites others have missed.  Would those same targets be heard in the lower tone modes?  Perhaps, but once your ears muscle memory reconciles what the full tones convey, I feel there's enough extra intel that make the struggle worth mastering.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Theoretically, if you are discriminating ferrous and have the machine properly ground balanced, then even in 50 tones it will still be silent until you get a target.

Absolutely correct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I have detecting friends that are hard core Minelab users and they've been very successful on the FBS machines in full tones, especially when sifting through trash and locating deep turf silver other machines walked over.  When I got the Equinox I was coming from three and four tone detectors, but forced myself to use full tones.  It took a while, but it really helped to sniff out deep silver and relics at sites others have missed.  Would those same targets be heard in the lower tone modes?  Perhaps, but once your ears muscle memory reconciles what the full tones convey, I feel there's enough extra intel that make the struggle worth mastering.

I come from the bbs/ fascia background, so I run my deus that way...no disc, full tones. Always feel like I'm ' missing something',, when I run a detector in 2 or 3 tones. 

• Like 3