Learning The Ropes On A Relic Site And A Few Surprises

CPT_GhostLight

I got to go with the DTC (Deus Two Crew) to the coal mining town one last time before the Winter freeze. This place has been hunted hard over the past 50 years so it is a great training ground for me. I've made a few good finds there recently and I'm getting more comfortable with running the D2 on heavily iron saturated ground, but there are still some concepts that elude me.

I've been running a variation of the Silver Slayer (Fast) program with Disc at 9, and Notch at 9-39, Silencer and B-Caps at 0, Reactivity at 1.5-2. I also set up a no-notch version of Fast and Deep HC to check iffy targets. This time out I was experimenting with different Disc setting and Notches and noticed that changing the Disc from 6 through 10 seemed to move the VID iron falsing numbers up a bit respectively. I know there is a new update coming that may address the iron falsing issues and I have seen a few videos about the D2 iron falsing and some work around ideas, but I still don't understand the relationship between Disc and Notch well enough to fully grasp how one affects the other.

Coming from Noxlandia to the Deus 2 world, I did finally manage to figure out, through some discussions in the M-Core forum, that Silencer equates to FE1 (smaller and shallow iron) and B-Caps equates to FE2 (larger and deeper iron), which has helped me a lot.

Even though I am still learning to decipher iron falses from good tones, I still managed to find a few interesting things. Most of these finds are mundane by forum standards, but they are bits of history that fascinate me. The coolest finds for me were the old buttons, Colt .45 revolver cartidges, a WRA Co (Winchester) .30-30 rifle cartridge, old silver plated wedding ring and a fancy silver plated spoon. The weirdest find was a coin spill of modern clad (1971-2001). 

GT-M4-A.JPEG

GT-M4-Ring.JPEG

GT-M4-Brooch-A1-horz.jpg

GT-M4-Button-A1-horz.jpg

GT-M4-Button-B1-horz.jpg

GT-M4-C.JPEG

GT-M4-B.JPEG

GT-M4-Spoon-A1b.JPEG

GT-M4-Spoon-A2.JPEG

Wm A Rogers SXR Spoon-1901.jpg

You did well on a site that has been hit hard. Apparently people avoid the iron areas. That is a lot of non ferrous targets to be getting there. Hopefully, somewhere there is a tiny half dime or 3 cent silver hiding in that iron.

Those are some nice relics to me. I especially like the soldering iron. Get yourself a corn cob for a handle & go to work!

I'm like you in that I love the history of finds. I love to recreate scenes of how at one time the item now in my hands was used or cherished by someone else a 100 years ago. I'm always creating a story behind each find, it's what makes detecting fun for me other than finding incredible gold rings :laugh:. No site is ever hunted out, there are always more stories to uncover.

Outstanding hunt, Cap'n. 👍 Whenever you feel you aren't killing it (and you are btw), always remember this:

Silver is the easiest thing to find.

If you're hunting a hard-hit area, of course you're not gonna find it! The finds you did get are testament to doing well. 🙂 And you even got a ring or two. As usual even your trash is cool. 😀

I've been using full tones so the iron gets pushed to its end of the spectrum. Yes, there are the usual high false tones, most of which seem to come from the edge of the coil. They are cancelled by the deep dive once centered over the iron. It's a dead giveaway.

Hard work rewarded. 😎

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I still don't understand the relationship between Disc and Notch well enough to fully grasp how one affects the other.

I share your quest for a better understanding of the Disc & Notch settings. For the fresh water/gold ring hunting I do I definitely find value in notching up to 28ish. Now am I just as well to run the Disc up to 28 and not worry about a notch? Run the Disc at 6-10 and notch from that point to 28, or notch 00-28? I feel like there is probably more than one right answer here. 

1 hour ago, Brad Plohman said:

I share your quest for a better understanding of the Disc & Notch settings. For the fresh water/gold ring hunting I do I definitely find value in notching up to 28ish. Now am I just as well to run the Disc up to 28 and not worry about a notch? Run the Disc at 6-10 and notch from that point to 28, or notch 00-28? I feel like there is probably more than one right answer here. 

As I understand it, Disc sets the cut-off number for the iron tone and Notch blanks the audio entirely. So a Disc of 00-28 would make any target id of 00 to 28 have an iron tone and targets 29 and above would have non-ferrous target tones. If you Notch 00-28, all target tones from 00-28 will be blanked out. In this case I feel like setting Disc from 6-10 and Notching 10-28 would be a safer option because I could hear the iron up to ID# 10 and know it's there and I would not hear the 10-28 targets and not be distracted by those unwanted items. Of course that's just the way I hunt most of the time. As you said there is more than one right answer. The method that suits you best is the right one. 🙂