New Legend Coils And Update

For me, it is all site dependent.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I completely agree that separation is the priority in trashy sites, with depth not really much of a concern. BUT, I always agreed to that because I was under the erroneous impression that the depth differential with the recovery speed was only about a measly 1". Given that it's more like a drastic 4", then in trashy sites, I'm thinking I'll run 3-5 and slow down a little more.

21 minutes ago, JCR said:

For me, it is all site dependent.

For me too, unfortunately the weather has been so bad recently that I didn't get much opportunity to go hunt in the field. Normally we go hunting on fields that have been harvested and where you can swing pretty close to the ground however a few days ago, we went out on a pasture with the grass being a bit tall. This was something completely different to search on. Here the depth was an issue because we were swinging our detectors approximately 10 - 15 cm above solid ground. But still the Legend performed 🙂

Another thing is the luck factor. You need a bit of luck to swing your detector over a target. No matter how good the detector is, if there's nothing in the ground, you'll do a lot of swinging and very little finding 🙂

Ordered my new coil for the legend today, the 9.5 * 6" version. Normally I should receive it this weekend so I'll be testing it on sunday. 

I think you just need to send an email to your local supplier. Sometimes they have the coils but they are not yet on their website. I did so and I think I got one of a few he received.

Got my LG24 coil delivered today. Did some testing in the kitchen and the response is much directer als with the 11" coil. I'm going detecting on sunday. I'll let you know how it went.

Went out metal detecting this afternoon with the LG24 coil. Field mode, M3, all metal. This is a great coil, more precise as the 11" coil, pinpointing is a lot easier. I also was under the impression that you don't really lose depth with this smaller coil.

M3 is great in wet soil by the way, more stable than M1 or especially M2 and I was able to better define what the target was. Dug up very little garbage but was able to find several musket balls and small coins. 

19 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

I also was under the impression that you don't really lose depth with this smaller coil.

Thanks for the report. Can you clarify or be more specific regarding your real world depth loss experience?  Is that what you discovered in your field run or what you heard? You will lose depth compared to the stock 11", that's just physics.  The key is defining what "lose much depth" really means in absolutes.  As discussed earlier, whatever the absolute number is for a given site situation,  it may or may not be a big deal depending on the context of the detecting situation.  For example, losing half an inch at a polluted site is less of an issue if you are looking for shallow masked targets than the same loss of half an inch in wet salt sand if you are going for deep, small jewelry.