900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, PSPR said:

Good work.  Believe me, that crossed my mind, too, regarding my dealer.  If they get a couple hundred orders then we are talking some money.  People have been tempted with less.

I would think Minelab, knowing how long it takes to bring a detector to the marketplace after announcement would tell dealers they can't take more than a $50 deposit for an out-of-stock Minelab detector.

Yeah, they definitely need to set some kind of policy on pre-orders for these dealers. The ones listed on the MineLab website at least, are more or less representing them to the public and it's high time MineLab acknowledged that.  Yes, I know they are independent entities and set their own store policies.  But Minelab has a choice about which dealers make their "where to buy" list. And yes, that shady dealer I just had to cancel with is on that list and I did check before I put my order in.

I think MineLab putting these dealers on their website and then turning a blind eye to them raking in thousands of dollars in pre-payments is just a town-skipping, maximum temptation, bankruptcy what?, disaster waiting to happen.  Are we idiots for sending them our cold hard cash with no timeline whatsoever for delivery?  Probably.  Is MineLab partly to blame with their full-page "Christmas present" magazine ads, "where to buy" list, and 2022 release announcements?  I think so.

1 hour ago, vive equinox said:

so what about EMI? 900 is better than 800? or the same? Manticore is it better than 900 for EMI ?

So far I would say that the Manticore is better then the equinox 800 but still sensitive to emi. I've had a couple places where noise canceling did not work where I suspect underground lines. In those areas I had to turn the sensitivity down to 20 and still some chatter was present. Interesting thing was that yesterday I was in the hills no power lines anywhere no houses and I was still unable to get past 28 in the sensitivity without a lot of chatter. I cant speak for the 900.

strick

I assume you have been experimenting with the Long Press Noise Cancel vs the Single Press?

5 minutes ago, JCR said:

I assume you have been experimenting with the Long Press Noise Cancel vs the Single Press?

Yes it does seem to help a little more when one press isn't enough. 

strick

14 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’ve been incrementally upgrading detectors for 50 years now. Small steps each time that has added up to revolutionary in total. But to answer your question directly, just the expanded target id range alone would be worth the upgrade from 800 to 900 for me. That’s the biggie really, and whether it’s 900 or Manticore I’d be happy either way.

Same here, the expanded I.D. range, better waterproofing, and the fact that I can use all my existing Nox coils, made my decision easy for ordering the 900. The button backlight and supposedly better EMI rejection are nice bonuses.

I don't know where people are getting the idea the Nox 900 has better EMI immunity, they in their marketing have not said a thing about the 900 having better EMI handling.

The Manticore has the long press EMI noise cancel feature, and claims in its marketing it is the one with better EMI handling.

BOOSTED EMI IMMUNITY

There may be a storm raging outside but inside MANTICORE it’s quiet and calm. Improved EMI rejection means it’s possible to operate using higher sensitivity whilst isolating target information — even in the most challenging environmental conditions.

The Nox 900 remains unchanged from the 800.

I don't see iron falsing as an issue, I run with iron volume low and all metal on the nox, I don't see why that won't work on the Manticore. It seems people are tying to make a small annoyance into a giant issue. "If" there is a good target the nox lets me know to dig in spite  of the iron. I spent a whole summer digging that marginal jumpy iron and high tone mix with the nox, if I could not pin down the high and or consistent tone (using some different settings) it was not a good target over and over and over. I'm sure the Manticore will take some practice, but I can't wait to do it. 

1 minute ago, Dug D said:

It seems people are tying to make a small annoyance into a giant issue

It gets Youtube hits and attention, which in turn brings money from the channel. 

9 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It gets Youtube hits and attention, which in turn brings money from the channel. 

I don't think the metal detector Youtubers make that much.  I heard some of them say it is in the hundreds of dollars a month.  I doubt there are many of them making a thousand or more monthly.  That isn't a lot for the time they put into the videos and the cost of buying new detectors.  Then they still need a job to make ends meet.