900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It's all hopes and dreams that the 900 has better EMI handling at this stage, they didn't advertise it like they did the Manticore.  Minelab want to sell detectors, it's unlike them not to market an improvement over a previous model.

The problem is its started off as people wondering, and now its turning into people thinking it does have improved EMI handling, some are wording it as its better with EMI than the 800.  It's a rumour that's turning into fact without validation.  

It's not being negative, its being factual.  If owners start coming out saying they are finding it better than the 800 for EMI that's great news, no one has yet that I've seen.  I hope it is myself, I'll probably have to get one if the Manticore doesn't turn out the good prospecting unit I hope it is so any improvement it has over the original Nox is great.

I'm more after a silver coin machine really, I rarely use VLF's now for gold anyway so my decision on the Manticore was an easy one, the CTX is far superior for me on silver than the Nox, so buying a Nox 900 was not really the good choice for the purpose, hoping the Manticore brings something to the table.

EMI is a minor annoyance at worst for me with Equinox, so kind of a non-issue for me, though I recognize maybe others have more problems with it. Short of being next to a substation, there are very few places in Reno where the Nox won't run halfway well. I'm sure the 900 will not be worse, and if by tweaking the noise cancel function it is improved, all the better.

If silver is the focus, lean Manticore. If gold is the focus, lean Nox 900. There, done and done.... moving on. :smile:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

I don't think the metal detector Youtubers make that much.  I heard some of them say it is in the hundreds of dollars a month.  I doubt there are many of them making a thousand or more monthly.  That isn't a lot for the time they put into the videos and the cost of buying new detectors.  Then they still need a job to make ends meet.

From what I know Youtube pays around 700E for 1 million views , then not a big deal for the MD youtubers ... Probably a little more interesting for Rihanna , Sia , Maroon5 etc ... 🙂

A lot of people I bet never touch the settings. On the Equinox the stock programs are really good. On these YouTube test many times a detector that doesn't hit something people (Including me) say you need to adjust this or that. While adjusting something might help in a particular situation will that adjustment be great everywhere? The point I'm getting at is I really think if your going to compare and contrast detectors you should first do it in the untouched stock programs. That's what you need to show people. Actually after that I'm not so sure you should even do this detector against that detector. Maybe you should just concentrate on the ways to get the most out of each individual detector alone. 

42 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

A lot of people I bet never touch the settings. On the Equinox the stock programs are really good. On these YouTube test many times a detector that doesn't hit something people (Including me) say you need to adjust this or that. While adjusting something might help in a particular situation will that adjustment be great everywhere? The point I'm getting at is I really think if your going to compare and contrast detectors you should first do it in the untouched stock programs. That's what you need to show people. Actually after that I'm not so sure you should even do this detector against that detector. Maybe you should just concentrate on the ways to get the most out of each individual detector alone. 

Yeah, the wrong setting criticism is a bit of a cop out for when people see results they don’t like. I kind of like the idea of these videos sticking more with stock settings, just EMI cancel, ground balance, bump sensitivity as high as will stay stable, and go. Changing settings can hurt more than help if people don’t know what they are doing, and well designed presets should do the job in a decent, if not superior fashion.

Fact is folks not everything runs great everywhere, some machines do better here, other machines do better there. All that matters is what does best for you on your ground on your targets, and videos are only going to get you so far in determining that. Me, I’ll listen to various people on this forum that get one before spending even a minute on the Tubers. Strick says Manticore no problem in the ferrous, story over as far as I’m concerned.

3 hours ago, PSPR said:

I don't think the metal detector Youtubers make that much.  I heard some of them say it is in the hundreds of dollars a month.  I doubt there are many of them making a thousand or more monthly.  That isn't a lot for the time they put into the videos and the cost of buying new detectors.  Then they still need a job to make ends meet.

One of those youtubers mentoned today, that people were sending him gold nuggets!

Right when he mentioned that, the street light went out above his head! 

Did you catch that?

There is some deep divisions forming over people who decided one way or the other 🙂

Either way, both are correct choices, the Nox is fantastic, both are an upgrade upon it so you can't really go wrong.  I'll probably end up not being able to resist and getting both but at this stage I'm resisting that.  The only thing making me want both is the 6" coil on the Nox more than anything, as with most things Minelab it comes down to coils dividing models. 

57 minutes ago, CoinShooter1 said:

One of those youtubers mentoned today, that people were sending him gold nuggets!

Did you catch that?

Didn’t notice the street light going out but the “people,” actually one person, that generously gave CD a sub gram nugget is on this forum. CD just can’t pronounce his name right or NASA Tom’s either. 

16 minutes ago, CoinShooter1 said:

Did you catch that?

I didn't notice the street light but I did notice he mentioned one of our very own moderators here having sent him the gold nugget.  Hmmmm.