Coin Cleaning Brush Pencils

My daughter gave me a set of "scratch brush" pencils for Christmas. They are made by Pixiss.com & they work great. The set includes 4 retractable pencils; soft steel, soft brass, fiberglass & stiff nylon. So far I have used the brass & fiberglass on some red Buffalo Nickels & dark Wheat Cents. The brush inserts are adjustable so you can control the stiffness. The soft brass did not scratch the coins & made quick work of removing the red oxide & any crud. The fiberglass one fine cleans and really brings out any details. I also tried the fiberglass on a Mercury Dime & again no scratching and a nice soft, tarnish free surface that highlights the details. Not sure how they might be used on fragile corroded coins yet.

Still some more to learn to use them best but compared to my repeated failures trying everything I could think of they work like magic without damaging the coin's detail. They are very reasonably priced.

I also received a Digital Microscope, another Magic tool! It has side LED lighting in addition to direct lighting & I could see hidden details on the most corroded coins I have dug. Nice HD screen & Photo capable.  They are not expensive either.

I've been using André pencils, but I like the looks of those better. 👍 Thanks for the post!

https://www.amazon.com/Pixiss-Scratch-Brush-Pen-Set-Fiberglass/dp/B07M94Y12J

Got a digital microscope last year for Christmas, it comes in really handy. Mine isn't as fancy so I sidelight with a small LED flashlight.

Did some more experimenting this evening on less than nice coins. Each coin is unique in how it cleans up but overall are improved for inspection/display. Toasted coins are still going to be rough but you can see any details that might be left. Extending the bristles out some to make it softer is important. I'm tickled..

9 hours ago, JCR said:

Did some more experimenting this evening on less than nice coins. Each coin is unique in how it cleans up but overall are improved for inspection/display. Toasted coins are still going to be rough but you can see any details that might be left. Extending the bristles out some to make it softer is important. I'm tickled..

Any chance you could hit us with some before and after photos? 😀 I may have a lot of work to do 🤔 

Mine are on the way!

I'm sure I will post some photos once I get a better feel for what is the best process, especially now that I have a way of making good detailed photos. I still have a pile on Nickels, mostly Buffalos but a good number of Vs & a couple of Shields.

Would love to see some before/after shots.  I was just considering ordering a set of André pencils to see how well they conserve relics, but these look pretty good too and at a better price (especially with the package that has the refills for a couple bucks more).

I have a bag full of coppers to test on. Slow small circular strokes with the proper pencil too start out.