V1.10 Beta Update Released

JCR

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

Agree with you I think the 1.11 will most likely be the last update but I do not want it completely locked so they can't do bug fixes, which I feel there are a couple bugs that need fixed my hopes are they finally fix those bugs with the 1.11

I will also agree that Nokta's first swing with SMF they knocked it out of the park, leaves you thinking if they can build a detector like the legend on the first try at SMF what does the future detectors they can build going to be, like the PI they are working on

And (IYO) what are those "couple of bugs that need fixed"?----Just curious.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, D&P-OR said:

And (IYO) what are those "couple of bugs that need fixed"?----Just curious.

well one i have mentioned in this post, the other is a threshold issue

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have up their sleeve for their PI, even though I have no use for a PI 🙂

I see quite a few posts about many wanting a submersible PI. Is there no such thing currently on the market?

i believe that mine lab has a submersible detector but do not quote me on it i believe the SD 2300 is what it is called

I think there is one more update to come, together with their new pinpointer that will be able to pair with the legend. Logically there will be some adaptation to the software of the legend that will be needed too?

I just loaded v1.10 v2 Beta but it will be a while until I can get out and try it.

I printed out the changes for v1.10/2 but I see the downloadable manual is still current for only v1.09.

I am guessing that they will not issue a new manual until they release v1.11 .

Since I don't use my detector every day, I like having a complete manual to refer to. In fact I had mine spiral bound at Staples with clear plastic covers to make it more rugged and convenient.

I LOVE that Nokta has made improvements along he way to make the detector better, but I have to say that with Menus and Sub-menus to get to adjustments, it's quite a challenge to locate and change features in the field, especially after not using the unit for a while. I cannot fault Nokta for that as they have tried to keep it as simple as possible, but these ARE incredibly complicated and sophisticated devices.

In my former life (pre-retirement) I first worked as a nuclear physicist 50 years ago, and after learning to fly, I was smitten, and became a USAF and then an airline pilot for the remaining 30 years of my working life, so I was used to working with reasonably complicated devices, but I have to say that the Legend is probably the MOST complicated device yet from the standpoint of being able to alter settings w/o a "Cheat Sheet" in hand. Perhaps it's just that I haven't used it enough to get familiar with it well enough, or that my aged brain is not what it once was (Yes, I know that unpleasant truth.), but getting the most from the unit is a challenge due to all the permutations possible.

I plan on using mine in the AZ desert for gold (not interested in coins, though relics from the "old days" are fun to find, though it's unlawful to keep any), so I guess once I find settings that work, I'll just as do as Ron Popeil (Of Ronco products "Pocket Fisherman," and "Showtime Rotisserie,")  advertised, "Set it and forget it," once I find settings that work for me which will make life easier.

I must say that compared to my old Whites MXT and TDI, the Legend seems like it could become the subject of an entire Community College Course on how to use it (with maybe a few labs with hands-on use included). Until I can get the MOST from the Legend, I won't let go of the MXT, which with a 4X6 DD coil wasn't all that bad a detector afterall! But I KNOW the Legend is FAR superior, and when I become competent, I will let the MXT collect dust in a closet.

One question (maybe two):

1) It says that Ground Suppression is for "Tough Ground" which I take to mean mineralized soil (lots of that where I go). But they say "Leave it OFF unless NEEDED." Does it hurt sensitivity (like to small gold)? By "Unless Needed" are they saying if you can ground balance the unit, you DON'T need GS, so leave it off? When WOULD one use it?

2) On the Iron Filter, I know that "8" was equivalent to the earlier default setting for the Legend, which was then "max iron filter" (Now 9 is even MORE filtering I know).  As I know understand it, selecting LESS IF (iron bias?), there's a greater chance that iron may appear as non-ferrous to the detector? That would mean maybe digging more objects thinking they are non-ferrous, and finding them to be iron? 

In my case, looking for the SMALLEST gold targets (Prospecting Mode), would using LESS Iron Filter change the overall sensitivity of the detector, or just increase the chance that a target that is ferrous will fake me out as non-ferrous, influencing me to dig it? 

It would seem to me (though I may have it completely wrong) that iron filtering is a way to do what discrimination does in desentizing the unit to in this case iron?

If anyone can explain it so I can understand, I'd really appreciate it!

Bob

4 hours ago, HerrUU said:

I think there is one more update to come, together with their new pinpointer that will be able to pair with the legend. Logically there will be some adaptation to the software of the legend that will be needed too?

forgot about that and you may be correct

17 minutes ago, bobinyelm said:

I just loaded v1.10 v2 Beta but it will be a while until I can get out and try it.

I printed out the changes for v1.10/2 but I see the downloadable manual is still current for only v1.09.

I am guessing that they will not issue a new manual until they release v1.11 .

Since I don't use my detector every day, I like having a complete manual to refer to. In fact I had mine spiral bound at Staples with clear plastic covers to make it more rugged and convenient.

I LOVE that Nokta has made improvements along he way to make the detector better, but I have to say that with Menus and Sub-menus to get to adjustments, it's quite a challenge to locate and change features in the field, especially after not using the unit for a while. I cannot fault Nokta for that as they have tried to keep it as simple as possible, but these ARE incredibly complicated and sophisticated devices.

In my former life (pre-retirement) I first worked as a nuclear physicist 50 years ago, and after learning to fly, I was smitten, and became a USAF and then an airline pilot for the remaining 30 years of my working life, so I was used to working with reasonably complicated devices, but I have to say that the Legend is probably the MOST complicated device yet from the standpoint of being able to alter settings w/o a "Cheat Sheet" in hand. Perhaps it's just that I haven't used it enough to get familiar with it well enough, or that my aged brain is not what it once was (Yes, I know that unpleasant truth.), but getting the most from the unit is a challenge due to all the permutations possible.

I plan on using mine in the AZ desert for gold (not interested in coins, though relics from the "old days" are fun to find, though it's unlawful to keep any), so I guess once I find settings that work, I'll just as do as Ron Popeil (Of Ronco products "Pocket Fisherman," and "Showtime Rotisserie,")  advertised, "Set it and forget it," once I find settings that work for me which will make life easier.

I must say that compared to my old Whites MXT and TDI, the Legend seems like it could become the subject of an entire Community College Course on how to use it (with maybe a few labs with hands-on use included). Until I can get the MOST from the Legend, I won't let go of the MXT, which with a 4X6 DD coil wasn't all that bad a detector afterall! But I KNOW the Legend is FAR superior, and when I become competent, I will let the MXT collect dust in a closet.

One question (maybe two):

1) It says that Ground Suppression is for "Tough Ground" which I take to mean mineralized soil (lots of that where I go). But they say "Leave it OFF unless NEEDED." Does it hurt sensitivity (like to small gold)? By "Unless Needed" are they saying if you can ground balance the unit, you DON'T need GS, so leave it off? When WOULD one use it?

2) On the Iron Filter, I know that "8" was equivalent to the earlier default setting for the Legend, which was then "max iron filter" (Now 9 is even MORE filtering I know).  As I know understand it, selecting LESS IF (iron bias?), there's a greater chance that iron may appear as non-ferrous to the detector? That would mean maybe digging more objects thinking they are non-ferrous, and finding them to be iron? 

In my case, looking for the SMALLEST gold targets (Prospecting Mode), would using LESS Iron Filter change the overall sensitivity of the detector, or just increase the chance that a target that is ferrous will fake me out as non-ferrous, influencing me to dig it? 

It would seem to me (though I may have it completely wrong) that iron filtering is a way to do what discrimination does in desentizing the unit to in this case iron?

If anyone can explain it so I can understand, I'd really appreciate it!

Bob

I do not know what it is about the Legend but for me the Legend has been a vary easy detector to set up and understand the menu's and settings, the Legend is my first SMF detector I came from using a At Pro which I hated and a Xterra 705 which I absolutely love, I have always felt the 705 was and still is one of the most under rated detector's to have ever been produced 

as for you questions on the GS, I have been testing the GS out on the ground I detect, for reference purposes the Ground I detect ground balance's on my Legend any where from high 80s to high 90s usually around 96, when I activate the mineralization meter on the Legend (And yes the Legend has a mineral meter) the left side of that meter is for iron particles in the ground the right side of that same meter is for salt content in ground, so with that in mind on my ground that mineral meter on the left side is almost always pegged at 10 bars (iron Particles)I.E (magnetite in my ground) on the right side of that meter salt content runs any where from 5-7 bars usually 6 bars by those readings on that meter the ground I detect is on the extreme side of Mineralization

here is my observations when using the GS, I started out with the GS set at 2 at a setting of 2 i noticed no difference in the way my legend reacted to the ground so I started increasing the GS 1 notch at a time at a setting of 4 was where I started seeing my legend started quieting down to the point it was very quite with just a few chirps here and there, there is no doubt in my mind that had I pushed the GS to 5 it would have most likely removed all ground noise the Legend was seeing but at what cost, even at a setting of 4 I would think it would most likely cost you targets and depth so in my mind you have to be careful just how much you are willing to push the envelope so to speak, and in my mind the reason Nokta cautions using the GS setting

as for the IF settings your assumptions are correct

• 2 weeks later...

I like how Nokta on their website say NO, we are not releasing a Legend 200 or 300, showing they intend to stick with the Legend platform as it is for a while now, perhaps just continuing with further updates and improvements. 

Legendmarketing.thumb.jpg.ee724b6519f182cbb2dde4da69cb647d.jpg

They're obviously in business to make money, but they're certainly not acting greedy and taking advantage of their customers like some other manufacturers.

I wonder when they will release version 1.11? Been about a month since they finalized beta testing, no?

Of course, seen what's happening in Turkey at the moment, the delay could well have a good reason.