Intentionally Hunting For Big Iron

Dcraun

Thanks Doc Bach,

I think all diggers find that they just seem to have a knack for finding a particular relic or thing, and for me locks has been one of those things. I certainly don’t have a similar knack for finding gold ! Although, where you detect definitely plays a big role - I don’t detect parks or schools often, and I don’t live near the beach. By the way I’m not sure padlocks are even really considered big irons, the way axe heads are far r example- but I do love finding them. 

I found a big old padlock with the keyhole on the front when I first started detecting I would love to display it now but I have no idea where I stashed it. At the time I thought it was junk, now I realize how cool it really was.

5 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Thanks Doc Bach,

I think all diggers find that they just seem to have a knack for finding a particular relic or thing, and for me locks has been one of those things. I certainly don’t have a similar knack for finding gold ! Although, where you detect definitely plays a big role - I don’t detect parks or schools often, and I don’t live near the beach. By the way I’m not sure padlocks are even really considered big irons, the way axe heads are far r example- but I do love finding them. 

All very good points relicmeister, It seems that we have both similar detecting interest and habits.            

78F55C81-FA4B-4495-AF22-34FBD220F8F0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a73d3b46536c34923d9a9c69e4d15235.jpeg 

Been watching this post with some interest, gotta hand it to ya for wanting to carry a ton of iron in your sacks. 😀

Now ya have me wondering what else is out there, been skipping most iron for a long time. I have dug my share of ax heads and hammers, not to mention plow parts. 🤣 Seriously though, Bravo. 👏 May do it when things get slow or lean. 🙂

Big iron will come up with a VDI in the mid to high 80s, so you can use your normal discrimination settings to eliminate the smaller bits. 

The low frequency weighting of the Diving program make it the best for deep cannonballs on the beach, but on land I would use Deep High Conductor. 

DSCI2222.JPG

DSCI2226.JPG

DSCI2138.JPG

DSCI1744.JPG

DSCI1471.JPG

DSCI1391.JPG

IMG_0060-2.JPG

Steve, you must have Popeye arms or a backhoe 😂. Excellent work!!!

9 hours ago, Steve Andrews said:

Big iron will come up with a VDI in the mid to high 80s, so you can use your normal discrimination settings to eliminate the smaller bits. 

The low frequency weighting of the Diving program make it the best for deep cannonballs on the beach, but on land I would use Deep High Conductor. 

DSCI2222.JPG

DSCI2226.JPG

DSCI2138.JPG

DSCI1744.JPG

DSCI1471.JPG

DSCI1391.JPG

IMG_0060-2.JPG

Man, you're going to need a bigger finds pouch! 😆

I dug these artillery fragments this past weekend. I was in DHC with iron volume at 2. If the fragment was shallow, I would get a brief iron buzz along with the higher tone. Then I would lift the coil. If I kept getting the high tone up to two feet, I dug it. 

Fragments.jpg