I Am Legend

Long time detectorist, first post in the forum.  I've owned most of the high end models at some point over the last decade. I recently sold an Equinox and Deus, with the intention of buying a Manticore. Due to Minelab's production and shipping delays, I started looking for alternatives. Deus II? Equinox 900? But wait! What's all this buzz about the Nokta Legend? After several hours of research watching videos and reading reviews it became clear that I could save over $1000 without sacrificing performance or features! 

I picked it up yesterday, just in time for a cold snap, but she's assembled and charged! 

My only observation at this point is that ime impressed with the solid build. 

With your level of experience, you are going to like it very much.   Keep posting.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m about to pull the trigger on a legend PP and LG24 coil but the complicated nature of the menu  has me a little intimidated. I’m a seasoned detectorist but not one to utilize the full range of settings and adjustments. I tend to cling to stock programs and adjust only the main settings such as sensitivity, disc, tones, recovery. If I’ve been comfortable with the Equinox, Deus and my current machine Deus 2, will I be frustrated by the Legend?  Is it a good complement to Deus2?  
   Comments appreciated 

As far as complimenting the D2, Legend is not really going to bring anything to the table that you can’t already get with the 800.  And to be frank, I really haven’t really seen the need to pull out the 800 or Legend much since I started swinging the D2 despite also owning the 10x5 coil for the 800 or the LG24 coil for Legend.  If I was starting from scratch, I might go D2 + Legend for max value or D2 + Nox 900 or Manticore if price was no object.  

Now Legend might be worth it if your 800 is well beyond warranty, but like I said, if you are primarily swinging the D2, the 800 is fine and Legend will just be the competent  shiny new toy but not a game changer.

I find the Legend to be jam packed with great features and great ergonomics.  But with that comes a less intuitive interface with a lot of secret key combinations to pull up the features they keep adding onto it and settings that you really need to understand because it is not clear that the added filters are necessarily optimal even if you just leave them at the defaults.  

Frustratingly, Nokta also decided to make the keypad matte black with raised matte black symbology marking the key functions.  You will likely have to paint on highlights to make it easier to see the keypad key functions or get the Nokta protective cover that has the key pad symbols highlighted.

Still learning the Legend and the new LG24 coil, but really haven’t clicked with it yet.  I blame that mostly on the great success I am having with the D2 rather than any real shortcomings with the Legend.  I am having the same lackluster bonding with my new Nox 900.  They are each fine detectors, that are just both overshadowed by the D2 for what I do most, mid-Atlantic relic detecting and summer beach hunting.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

As far as complimenting the D2, Legend is not really going to bring anything to the table that you can’t already get with the 800.  And to be frank, I really haven’t really seen the need to pull out the 800 or Legend much since I started swinging the D2 despite also owning the 10x5 coil for the 800 or the LG24 coil for Legend.  If I was starting from scratch, I might go D2 + Legend for max value or D2 + Nox 900 or Manticore if price was no object.  

Now Legend might be worth it if your 800 is well beyond warranty, but like I said, if you are primarily swinging the D2, the 800 is fine and Legend will just be the competent  shiny new toy but not a game changer.

I find the Legend to be jam packed with great features and great ergonomics.  But with that comes a less intuitive interface with a lot of secret key combinations to pull up the features they keep adding onto it and settings that you really need to understand because it is not clear that the added filters are necessarily optimal even if you just leave them at the defaults.  

Frustratingly, Nokta also decided to make the keypad matte black with raised matte black symbology marking the key functions.  You will likely have to paint on highlights to make it easier to see the keypad key functions or get the Nokta protective cover that has the key pad symbols highlighted.

Still learning the Legend and the new LG24 coil, but really haven’t clicked with it yet.  I blame that mostly on the great success I am having with the D2 rather than any real shortcomings with the Legend.  I am having the same lackluster bonding with my new Nox 900.  They are each fine detectors, that are just both overshadowed by the D2 for what I do most, mid-Atlantic relic detecting and summer beach hunting.

Just my 2 cents.

You’re 2 cents are most appreciated , Chase. 
By the way, I really need to update my forum profile because the only detector I presently own is the Deus 2. I honestly think it does everything I need and was only considering the Legend to add some variety to my detecting gear, and because the price offered is so reasonable.  The 900 and Mcore are both definitely more than I’m willing to spend on my hobby at the present time. 

If you have learned to navigate the user interface on those past detectors & the Deus II, you won't have any trouble with the Legend. The main features are pretty straight forward & the "hidden" ones were learned pretty quick for me. A really nice feature is that it saves your last settings so it doesn't take much to get going the next time you use it. The coil selection is an added bonus to the overall value & performance in the field.

Gratz.

Unlike you I just started detecting last year. With the Legend. I had a lot to learn and I am glad that I learned on this detector. 

From the standpoint of a newbie I was impressed to see Nokta stay on top of bug fixes and pushing new features the community requested, they have done a great job refining the machine and  communicating to their user base. 

I ultimately bought a Simplex for a spare and I really like that machine as well. 

THere are a lot of great machines out there. I would love to get a D2 or a Nox someday. But it is good to know that the Legend gives me a great feature set for the money. I almost bought a D2 as my first real detector and I am glad I didn't, the learning curve would have been much harder. 

Anyway, mine is on the way to get the speaker repaired, I can't detect now anyway because of winter. 

I am not a "brand" guy, I took a chance that Nokta was telling the truth about the Legend and preordered it. 

No regerts

My first machine and my entry into the hobby. It's pretty fun to use. There's generally one submenu, but I also had to learn how to save my profiles and notch off numbers for custom discrimination. I have yet to learn how to reset the machine to factory settings though! (which is important when you're updating the machine apparently) 

I had an old Teknetics Alpha laying around when I started metal detecting last year. It's honestly a toy and after a few months I had enough of it. So started to save some money to buy a new one and I was actually saving for a Deus 1 v6 which is a very nice machine. But at 1000€ also an expensive one. And along came the promotion at Nokta for the Legend with headphones at 599 so I also took the "risk" to buy one. 

Since then, I have not regretted this decision one bit. For the initial 1000€ I was going to spend on the Deus, I bought the additional LG24 and LG30 coils and now I have a detector that in my opinion can give a Manticore or Deus 2 a run for his money.