Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

That's where I was expecting it to be priced, around that area.  We will wait and see, if it is their answer to the Simplex competition is alive and well. 

• Like 2

In a few months everything might be "readjusted" .  Minelab is making a big move lately and i can see why with the deus 2 and nokta biting their tail.  Plus Garrett in the gold/PI arena. Should be a buyers market for those able to buy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

This is an interesting development.    I guess single frequency isn't dead after all .    So all of us who kept our single frequency and selectable single frequency detectors are not so behind the curve after all.   Thank you Minelab for validating us.

HA!
Mike

Mike, I agree completely!!

Monte, a SF fan.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:15 PM, phrunt said:

So, do we need another single frequency metal detector? Of course we don't.  Notka even began killing them off from their line up, including their switchable frequency detectors.  They wouldn't do that if they were good sellers.  Minelab even said they'd not release anymore single frequency detectors.

Good luck with it Minelab.

Do 'we' need another SF detector?  Yes, definitely, IF it is something new, improved and creative, which the X-Terra Pro looks to be.

As for Nokta, and the former Makro, they have been too fast at discontinuing some of their models that were very good detectors with a lot ofc performance.  I point to the excellent Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic long with the Makro Racer and Racer II.  I have, and will not part with, my Relic, original Racer and a Racer II that I need to send off to their service department this week.

And talk about MSRP, yes, they dropped the Makro Multi-Kruzer and seem to be eliminating  anything 'Makro', but they do have two selectable SF models in their current line-up.  The waterproof Nokta Anfibio Multi at $749, and the non-waterproof Impact priced at $599.  So the sleeker and waterproofed new X-Terra Pro seems to be targeted in a competitive price range.  And let's not ignore the Quest Q60 in the selectable SF game.

As for Minelab, there can be  lot of 'talking heads' at times and somebody might have stated  something yet not been a final decision-maker.  And while SMF is a popular current trend for some groups of people, there is still a greater number on very satisfied, and successful, SF operators all around the world and I am sure Minelab thinkers are aware of that.  Certainly they know that there are those former X-Terra owners who like their older-period model, but just haven't been thrilled with buying different Frequency coils, and many want waterproof.  Therefore it was a cleaver way to use a known and proven name and step it up with an improved unit in that series.

They can still continue with their SMF's, but simply produced a model that I feel will be well received by many.

Monte

• Like 5

It will be useful.

You all didn't really believe all that bull about single freq machines being obsolete did you lol.

If the Terra Pro is good on dry beaches and the 705 is I might well buy one.

It will replace my Nox 800 now I have the 900.

Someone told me that it's just for the Chinese Market. But why give it an old name?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 6:02 AM, Monte said:

So the sleeker and waterproofed new X-Terra Pro seems to be targeted in a competitive price range. 

If it does come in in a price targeted between the Simplex ($279 US) and the Legend($499 US), it will be competitive.  The Legend has selectable single frequency too and high recovery (which is why the Anfibios and Impacts are not long for this world despite some of their advanced filtering), so if ML overshoots Legend in price, then I see no point in this (except for the reason I described below).

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

It will be useful.

You all didn't really believe all that bull about single freq machines being obsolete did you lol.

If the Terra Pro is good on dry beaches and the 705 is I might well buy one.

It will replace my Nox 800 now I have the 900.

Someone told me that it's just for the Chinese Market. But why give it an old name?

If you already have a 900, not sure what this brings to the table on dry sand as you can always go to SF on the Nox and this should have similar behavior to a Nox in SF.  However, I do see one advantage in wet salt sand and seawater with the X-terra Pro.  If ML is indeed using the square wave demod scheme mentioned by Carl above to achieve salt balance from SF 8khz  Beach Mode vice being locked in Multi-IQ in Beach mode like the Nox, it might provide an advantage in severe EMI situations, which is something I know challenges you on your beaches, Nuke Em.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

Minelab didn't even believe it themselves even before Xterra Pro, otherwise why did they include SF on the Nox?

The whole SMF vs SF debate is kind of ridiculous.  We don't have to chose one or the other anymore as Nox, Apex, D2, Legend, Manticore, and the forthcoming Quest V60/V80 all have multiple selectable single frequency as a feature along side Simultaneous MF.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1