X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

22 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So to answer Steve's thead title question:  Do we need another single frequency detector?  I would say the answer is, not really.

Or at least not this one. The comparison with the Nox machines makes it hard to see a reasonable bang for buck. Also, the legend is $499 and $699 for the pro package on Amazon. So much more for the money.

The Vanquish looks like a lovely entry level machine that would be simple to operate, but only a little more money gets you a quantum leap in capability.

Selectable frequency is a lovely thing to have, but I also do not understand the relatively narrow range of choice in frequency. The “new” X-Terra Pro seems like a step backwards in some ways.

There are so many much more attractive machines to be had now, we live in an incredible time for detector tech. There is really no need to choose between single, single selectable, and multi frequency anymore. We can have it all, and at surprisingly reasonable prices. 

Given that, why would we choose less for more? 

As an X-terra and Nox owner, I have some faith that Minelab didn't build a detector without a purpose, so I have to reserve judgment until we see it work. My guess is they found a way it improve the VID at depth over the old X-terras, also guessing the recover speed is really fast.  Maybe the VID will be really stable allowing easy cherry picking. 

Do we know the price for sure ?

We all know the perfect guy to test for us 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dug D said:

I don't think we have a USA price.  China, maybe.

So, where would *we* price this detector.  Just thinking Minelab products, less than the  Eqx 700 or even 600 -- yes.  More than the top Vanquish?  Not sure about that -- maybe right at or close to the top-of-the-line Vanquish model.

And still I don't know there is a market.  Seems like a lot of people go under the assumption that Minelab is really smart and they always know what they are doing -- what they release, to whom, and where they price it.  I'm not one of those people....

• Like 3

As a former X-Terra owner that transitioned over to the Equinox 800/900, Legend and Deus 2 which all have excellent selectable single frequency choices, I will just speak for myself.

I have absolutely no use for a detector with selectable single frequencies of 5, 10 and 15 kHz. Add 20 kHz to that list and I might think about it for a couple of seconds........heck no.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

X-terra Pro..I was interested in the beach program...I think this program can have a multi-frequency element?.. /elimination of terrain-water conductivity?/

....other programs can run on one selectable frequency....it is such a competition to Deus1/ORX...but also to other detector manufacturers...

Personally, I think this is how the first Vanquish should have looked...

The shape of the coils is identical to the one from the Vanquish line...so now I have a question...will the Vanquish and XTerra  Pro coils be compatible?..

...never underestimate single frequency detectors.... the ratio of my gold coins found by single frequency detector to multi frequency detector... is 11 gold coins for 1F frequency detectors... and 7 gold coins for Multifrequency detectors...

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Pesonally, I think this is how the first Vanquish should have looked...

Yea that would have been the smart thing to do is call it a Vanquish 640 and have SMF, selectable single frequency and GB. IMO Minelab screwed up on that one.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

X-terra Pro..I was interested in the beach program...I think this program can have a multi-frequency element?.. /elimination of terrain-water conductivity?/

....other programs can run on one selectable frequency....it is such a competition to Deus1/ORX...but also to other detector manufacturers...

Personally, I think this is how the first Vanquish should have looked...

The shape of the coils is identical to the one from the Vanquish line...so now I have a question...will the Vanquish and XTerra  Pro coils be compatible?..

...never underestimate single frequency detectors.... the ratio of my gold coins found by single frequency detector to multi frequency detector... is 11 gold coins for 1F frequency detectors... and 7 gold coins for Multifrequency detectors...

I too am interested in just what is going on with Beach mode.  But if it is MF why does the XT Pro say 8 kHz?

4 hours ago, Dug D said:

As an X-terra and Nox owner, I have some faith that Minelab didn't build a detector without a purpose, so I have to reserve judgment until we see it work. My guess is they found a way it improve the VID at depth over the old X-terras, also guessing the recover speed is really fast.  Maybe the VID will be really stable allowing easy cherry picking. 

We all know the perfect guy to test for us 😁

If its just Nox with only selectable single frequency, then this makes sense only if it's priced at or below Vanquish.  If the Beach mode were bare bones Multi-Q (only) and the Park/Field modes only selectable single frequency, then this would be the logical replacement for the Vanquish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I too am interested in just what is going on with Beach mode.  But if it is MF why does the XT Pro say 8 kHz?

Beach mode is given as “saltwater capable”. Not multi. According to the link I gave from Serious detecting above at least. What they say about the X-Terra Pro is all marketing talk, you can see precisely what this is though.