Slow News Day (whatizit)

One of my clients found this on a walk about around this property near it old homesite. Trying to figure out what it is. His dad seems to think it is some kind of a bayonet but I cant find anything that looks like it. To me it looks like some kind of a hanger you would pound into a tree...looks too short to be a tent stake... The good news is hes going to take me where he found it 🙂

20230214_152536.jpg

20230214_152525.jpg

20230214_152554.jpg

20230214_152552.jpg

It looks like a spear point. Maybe something for farming. Cool find.

At first I thought harpoon, but looked at them and didn't see one similar.14485-temple-type-whaling-harpoon-21.thumb.jpeg.8bc8259ee84e7ee48d30edd2789ce32c.jpeg

They all kinda look like this one.

Also thought of those spikes they use in maple trees for syrup, but it would have to be hollow.

Iron? Brass?

Nice ya got a permission out of it 🤔

I have two similar looking Harpoon points that I dug fifty years ago.That were most likely forged at the Russian American colony at Fort Ross on the Sonoma county California coast circa 1812 to 1842.They were used during the fur trade era to harvest sea lions, California fur seals and sea otters.

I think it may be part of a Sickle bar for an older style tractor.  Had one growing up.  Looks quite similar.  Cutting edge would be mounted in the slot of the pictured device, and the round end likely mounted into a bar of some sort...similar to below.  Likely much older than the type show in the 50s/60s style tactor below....maybe even horse drawn.

9ee02f877af9db47ef650ad399f498de.jpg

I’ve had to replace those points on that side cutter and they are flat on the top side. The cutter blade slides on that flat side back and forth. The cutter I had fit on the back of the tractor and used the power lift to put it down to cut . That tractor is what you call a 8N and I had a 9N .

All that was many moons ago.

Chuck 

23 hours ago, Zincoln said:

Likely much older than the type show in the 50s/60s style tactor below....maybe even horse drawn.

6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I’ve had to replace those points on that side cutter and they are flat on the top side. The cutter blade slides on that flat side back and forth. The cutter I had fit on the back of the tractor and used the power lift to put it down to cut . That tractor is what you call a 8N and I had a 9N .

Well, there you have it!  If Chuck hasn't seen it you can bet it's not some *old* device.  😉

FWIW, my guess is that it's some kind of spear used for freshwater 'fishing'.  I think native Americans (American Indians) are still allowed to use those methods in some places, although this one from days gone by likely preceded the conservation laws that exist today -- could have been used by about anyone.

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

All that was many moons ago.

Chuck 

Yes indeed I was looking at some close ups of the points and all of them that I could find were flat on the back so they could bolt onto the boom. Appreciate the responses fellas...

strick