Beach Guys> Beach Low Conductor

midalake

Beach deep or beach low conductor is about the same where I use it. Tom Dankowski is also saying beach low conductor on his beaches. So I guess if you're seeing something different it's kind of strange. Now on coins I'd say yes use a different mode but who hunts for coins on a beach? In that case though I have found beach general and seawater go a bit deeper on high conductors like quarters.

I'm a low conductor guy just because that's what Tom says he uses.

I've not tested different modes on rings on my beaches, but I think they are pretty much the same on the east coast of Florida where he hunts as my west coast of Florida. And I'm sure he has tested them all, so I'll go with that!

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I'm a low conductor guy just because that's what Tom says he uses.

I've not tested different modes on rings on my beaches, but I think they are pretty much the same on the east coast of Florida where he hunts as my west coast of Florida. And I'm sure he has tested them all, so I'll go with that!

I have to "ditto" that also. Tom D recommended hunting in beach low conductors so that's the mode I have been using. Next time I get a marginal signal I'll give the Deep a try and report back.

22 hours ago, abenson said:

Tom Dankowski is also saying beach low conductor on his beaches. So I guess if you're seeing something different it's kind of strange.

While Tom has forgot more about detectors than I never knew. It is really hard for me to listen to settings from someone who has not stepped on a black sand beach in over a decade. 

13 hours ago, okara gold said:

Next time I get a marginal signal I'll give the Deep a try and report back.

So yesterday we switched the 10k ring out with a little larger 14k ring. 

SAME results.

Seawater setting again beat low conductor in the wet sand and Beach Deep was the best response on that gold. 

It should be noted that both Beach Deep and Low Conductor are not friendly settings if you're moving between water and wet sand. Both of these modes will require lowering sensitivity to hunt in water contact.  

1 hour ago, midalake said:

It should be noted that both Beach Deep and Low Conductor are not friendly settings if you're moving between water and wet sand. Both of these modes will require lowering sensitivity to hunt in water contact.  

How is using Low Conductor vs. saltwater setting fully submerged water? Can Low Conductor setting be used fully submerged?

1 hour ago, midalake said:

While Tom has forgot more about detectors than I never knew. It is really hard for me to listen to settings from someone who has not stepped on a black sand beach in over a decade.

I can agree with that. You never said you were hunting black sand. But good to hear beach deep does the trick.

1 hour ago, matt said:

How is using Low Conductor vs. saltwater setting fully submerged water? Can Low Conductor setting be used fully submerged?

While I do not hunt under water but in the wave wash [submerged]  I do not see how Low conductor can beat the Seawater setting. Due to sensitivity lowering necessary with Low Conductor. 

On 2/27/2023 at 11:24 AM, midalake said:

While I do not hunt under water but in the wave wash [submerged]  I do not see how Low conductor can beat the Seawater setting. Due to sensitivity lowering necessary with Low Conductor. 

You are absolutely right. IN the wash or slightly submerged in salt water Seawater mode is highly suggested and from what I have found is the only way to go.  I predominantly use beach low conductors on the wet sand and when I approach the splash zone, I either quickly lower my sensitivity down 4 or 5 numbers or quickly turn and start back up the slope. If I continue into the splash or wash the machine will howl and scream and make all sorts of agonizing sounds, making it quite obvious that it doesn’t like my sensitivity setting while under the water.  I cannot hunt in the water with the low conductor mode unless the sensitivity is ridiculously low, which is pointless. Beach Seawater is the mode that works submerged in the salt. In my water I am able to hunt with a sensitivity of 21 - 24. 

Let me share a short story with you.  A buddy of mine has a Manticore.  I do not.  He, like so many others, was following NASA Tom's low conductor recommendation and was lamenting his not finding gold in the wet sand at Santa Monica. 

I took it upon myself to read the manual online and found this:

Deep
Salt water beach detecting for small or thin metal objects such
as fine jewellery, with aggressive settings for maximum depth
Suitable for dry and wet sand.

My buddy wasn't familiar with the setting.  He decided to try it the next morning at Santa Monica.

In "Deep" he got a good, strong signal that he thought might be gold (I don't recall the number).  He switched to low conductor and the detector would barely read it, even when he boosted the sensitivity.  He said he would have walked right over it.

He dug down what he estimated to be 12"/13".  He recovered a 10K diamond ring.

I'm not dissing NASA Tom in any way.  Just saying that the guys that write these manuals know a thing or two about their detectors, right?  Maybe they are worth reading.