Manticore Headphone Option Experimentation/experiences

I've pegged the Minelab support again and this is one of their replies (ML85 / ML105):

"These range of headphones are a proprietary wireless system and are only compatible with the Manticore Equinox 700 & 900 and the Xterra Pro."

In my reply I've asked if it'll be possible to pair non-Minelab headphones and if there will definitely be no WM-style receiver.. Awaiting their response - but we all probably already know the answer.

Well, I guess I'll have to stick with my 800 - no new Minelab for me.

If there is one thing Minelab are good at it's annoying customers, it would not surprise me at all if they've made their Bluetooth LE use a custom connection protocol so only their headphones work, it's how they roll, just look at their coils.   I wouldn't expect anything less, perhaps they want to make a few bucks licensing out headphone manufacturing rights to some company willing to pay them.  

Fortunately for me I'm a speaker user so this time I don't need to care.

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I've pegged the Minelab support again and this is one of their replies (ML85 / ML105):

"These range of headphones are a proprietary wireless system and are only compatible with the Manticore Equinox 700 & 900 and the Xterra Pro."

In my reply I've asked if it'll be possible to pair non-Minelab headphones and if there will definitely be no WM-style receiver.. Awaiting their response - but we all probably already know the answer.

Well, I guess I'll have to stick with my 800 - no new Minelab for me.

This was the response to my email to Minelab in Ireland regarding the headphone situation.

"At this time there are no alternatives to wireless audio other than the supplied ML105 Headphones or the ML85 headphones that ship with the EQUINOX 700 & 900 detectors.

This current limitation is because the MANTICORE and EQUINOX 700 & 900 detectors utilise our new proprietary low latency wireless audio codec that is not used on any previous products and delivers faster, higher quality audio than is possible with standard Bluetooth.

I am unaware at this time of any future developments that extend the variety of compatible wireless audio devices with the detector, but I shall raise your desire for a Wireless Module option for the MANTICORE as a feature request to our Product Development team.

The ML85 On Ear Wireless Headphones are expected to become available soon via our Approved Dealer Network with Minelab Accessory Part Number: 3011-0465 - ML85 Headphones.

The ML85 Headphones have the same physical form-factor as the ML80 Headphones that the EQUINOX 800 shipped with.

There is currently high demand and initial stocks in UK may be limited, but most dealers would be in a position to order these for you. Our UK Distributor can be contacted directly at the below details:"

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, StuWW said:

This was the response to my email to Minelab in Ireland regarding the headphone situation.

"At this time there are no alternatives to wireless audio other than the supplied ML105 Headphones or the ML85 headphones that ship with the EQUINOX 700 & 900 detectors.

This current limitation is because the MANTICORE and EQUINOX 700 & 900 detectors utilise our new proprietary low latency wireless audio codec that is not used on any previous products and delivers faster, higher quality audio than is possible with standard Bluetooth.

I am unaware at this time of any future developments that extend the variety of compatible wireless audio devices with the detector, but I shall raise your desire for a Wireless Module option for the MANTICORE as a feature request to our Product Development team.

The ML85 On Ear Wireless Headphones are expected to become available soon via our Approved Dealer Network with Minelab Accessory Part Number: 3011-0465 - ML85 Headphones.

The ML85 Headphones have the same physical form-factor as the ML80 Headphones that the EQUINOX 800 shipped with.

There is currently high demand and initial stocks in UK may be limited, but most dealers would be in a position to order these for you. Our UK Distributor can be contacted directly at the below details:"

"....the MANTICORE and EQUINOX 700 & 900 detectors utilise our new proprietary low latency wireless audio codec that is not used on any previous products...."

I'd be surprised if Minelab have gone to the trouble of writing their own audio codec (there are so many excellent ones out there already, including the new BT LE ones).  I strongly suspect that ML have deliberately made no 3rd party BT gear interoperable, and that this is a deliberate financial/marketing decision.

• Like 2

That is one of the reasons that stops me investing in a Manticore , supply a module ML !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StuWW said:

I've received the same answer.
Afaik LC3 needs to be licensed. Maybe they've tried to cut down some costs.. who knows.

Everyone who's interested should raise a feature request.
If we're lucky, they roll out an update at some point, since the nRF5430 should be LC3 capable without any hardware changes.

• Like 1

I have Velcroed an ATP-X LL transmitter on the back of the pod and use it on the Manticore and X-T Pro. So far it works good, I have several ear buds that work well with it, and some head phones if its less than 60.

Between the headphones and the coils, Minelab has ticked off a lot of detectorists. They have provided a road map for the competition, I bet a year or so from now Minelab will wish it had made different decisions. 

I think the X-Pro would have had runaway sales if the headphones were regular ATP-x LL. (almost anyone with an equinox and coils would have bought one.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

how to connect my headphones to the manticore, ¨I use the VAORLO 2 IN 1 Bluetooth 5.2 module, the ml80 headphones are paired with it, and I connect any headphones to the headphones before turning it on. I throw the ML80 in my backpack. and everything works great without lag. I shared that it is possible to make a module with ML80 that you can throw in your pocket. If anyone knows an easier option for hot days, do you dream here?

I used the ML105 headphones for the first time the other day. I found them to be lite and comfortable, but maybe a little bit warm to wear. I could hear people talking to me with them on which I liked.

1 minute ago, KDX said:

I used the ML105 headphones for the first time the other day. I found them to be lite and comfortable, but maybe a little bit warm to wear. I could hear people talking to me with them on which I liked.

Can't edit for some reason....the option to use some third party wireless ear buds would be nice.