Tid Vs Audio, The Deus 2 Schools Me Again!

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the Deus audio and how target TID can differ from target audio. In my effort to learn the D2 more thoroughly, I've been trying to learn the sounds and diferences between Tones vs Pitch vs Full Tones and PWM vs Square audio. I came from a square tone world so working in PWM has taken some getting use to, but I am finally starting to get the hang of it. I still like Square audio and really like Pitch tones, but have forced myself to use Full Tones in PWM to train my ears. One of the main advantages I am learning with PWM is that it gives more subtle audio information that can help with identifying targets.

I was reminded of this again last weekend when I was invited by a detecting buddy to help out on a Ring Rescue mission. He is the consummate jewelry detectorist and a member of Ring Finders. So I met up with him a tiny house to look for a lost wedding ring set in a small gravel covered yard. It was a short hunt and we both covered the area with no luck.

Since we still had an hour or two to kill and some sunshine to burn, we decided to hit a small park that I had never been to. This is when the D2 decided to teach me another lesson. I decided to start off in the Silver Slayer program (Fast, Notch to 40, No upper Notch, Pitch in Square audio) to cover more area in the short time we had. I had only travelled a short way across the field glancing at every good sounding TID looking for nickel and dime to quarter range signals when I noticed a recurring 57 number popping up. That's usually a junk target in my parks, but as the D2 would explain, not always. That's when I stopped and changed back to my Fast Full Tone program with PWM audio and retraced my steps. I could hear a familiar wavy/scratchy with iron bump sound with most of the 57s but one sang out hard and round. I dug all the 57s and I'm glad I did, because the really good sounding one turned out to be a 10K gold ring with a heart shaped Fire Opal two small diamonds! The D2 reminded me to stick with the lesson program and complete my training and I will, although I'll happily accept more lessons like that! 😎

FP-Ring-1.JPEG

FP-Ring-3.JPEG

FP-Finds-1.JPEG

FP-Finds-2.JPEG

To recap the lesson plan: See with Your Ears...

TID-1.JPEG

TID-2.JPEG

TID-3b.JPEG

That is one of the prettiest rings I have seen in a while.

Great to learn your machine.

PWM definitely plays better with my damaged ears. Tone variations are much more pronounced to me with PWM whereas square variations blend together if I can even discern a variation at all.  

Nice work Ghost...I've not been out in while and you have given me the bug so maybe later this week. As your photos show if you're not digging lots of junk you're not likely to find much gold. The sound of the tones as well as the numbers a target emits on a machine in the real world can mean nothing. Target orientation, ground mineralization, proximity to trash, how well you have tuned your machine etc can make any good target sound like crap. In the end it's really a numbers game the more you dig non ferrous the more likely you are to find good stuff. How many gold chains have we passed up because the numbers are too low...how many large gold rings did we pass up because we thought it was a zinc penny? Anyone who thinks they can hear what gold or silver sounds like is just fooling themselves. Once I met  guy on the beach we were both swinging CTX's and he told me that every 12-09 he dug was gold..I don't think he hunted parks very much. Can we find good stuff by just listening and digging for sweet sounds or just digging solid ID targets? Yep we sure can and all those targets we passed up because they didn't sound right or the numbers were jumping round were just junk anyways..we were sure of it 🙂

Nice ring BTW... me likes the Opal 👍

strick 

9 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I had only travelled a short way across the field glancing at every good sounding TID looking for nickel and dime to quarter range signals when I noticed a recurring 57 number popping up.

I have not dug a Bobby Pin in 3 years with the Equinox. 

At the beach have put a few of these in my pouch, as with other odd iron that seems to break through discrimination. :unsure:

What's up with that??

Great hunt Cap'n, I really like that you retained the IDs on the comparison stuff. 👍

That ring is a beauty. 🏆 Looks like you're off to a great year! Sure has been for me but relic hunting is almost over. 😪 Hopefully they'll turn some more good stuff up for next year, but I'll get more permissions anyway.

I'm not feeling the strong contrast with what most of y'all talk about with PWM vs Square. I can still hear the scratches in square/full clearly, and get more false digs in PWM. Most of the time I can leave aluminum behind. I'll see how Bobby pins sound on the beach soon! Might be a bias thing like it is on the Equinox. 😀 Thanks for the pre-game tips.

I pretty much dig everything in the 40-60 range, and you're right, the more crisp the sound the better. 🙂 Heck I'll even dig the 30s if they sound good enough.

11 hours ago, strick said:

As your photos show if you're not digging lots of junk you're not likely to find much gold. The sound of the tones as well as the numbers a target emits on a machine in the real world can mean nothing.

Gosh that is not all true.

Target orientation, ground mineralization, proximity to trash, how well you have tuned your machine etc can make any good target sound like crap. In the end it's really a numbers game the more you dig non ferrous the more likely you are to find good stuff.

I think a well tuned machine and operator can really factor out the trash equation. I think the less ferrous is the way to go and like you, digging nonferrous is where it is at. [at the beach]

how many large gold rings did we pass up because we thought it was a zinc penny? Anyone who thinks they can hear what gold or silver sounds like is just fooling themselves.

Yes! 
But lets go back to sounds and number on the D2. This is where I find BIG ISSUES!  
Once a target will not TID, the D2 is lousy at giving hints at what might still be in the ground. Iron wrap-around sounds identical to deep non-ferrous that will not TID. I can clearly confirm these types of targets on the Equinox but cannot do so with the D2.
Different modes, different settings, nothing seems to help with deep non-ferrous.  The only hint I have found if you happen to get the machine to throw a number. Even if it is only one in 5-8 swings. Other than that, if you are at a wet salt beach or working in water>FORGET IT!   

3 hours ago, midalake said:

Gosh that is not all true.

I think a well tuned machine and operator can really factor out the trash equation. I think the less ferrous is the way to go and like you, digging nonferrous is where it is at. [at the beach]

Yes! 
But lets go back to sounds and number on the D2. This is where I find BIG ISSUES!  
Once a target will not TID, the D2 is lousy at giving hints at what might still be in the ground. Iron wrap-around sounds identical to deep non-ferrous that will not TID. I can clearly confirm these types of targets on the Equinox but cannot do so with the D2.
Different modes, different settings, nothing seems to help with deep non-ferrous.  The only hint I have found if you happen to get the machine to throw a number. Even if it is only one in 5-8 swings. Other than that, if you are at a wet salt beach or working in water>FORGET IT!   

I have not had a chance to hit a beach with the D2 yet, so most of my hunting is parks and relic sites.  I look forward to trying out some beach settings later this year and I really appreciate your insights, midalake.

Hopefully the upcoming update will address that.