Automatic And Variable Recovery Speed?

Hello everyone.

With the importance of the recovery speed when it comes to depth and separation, is it possible to have an automatic recovery speed mode?

It would have to work by comparing how many targets are seen in a particular time frame. The problem is that everyone has different swing speeds. For example, a slow swinger might hit 1 or 2 targets in a ten second time frame, but a fast swinger in the same area could hit 7 or 8 targets in the same time frame. Meaning, the detector would have to have some type of sensor that determines the swing speed.

What do you all think of a feature like that?

1 minute ago, Digalicious said:

Hello everyone.

With the importance of the recovery speed when it comes to depth and separation, is it possible to have an automatic recovery speed mode?

It would have to work by comparing how many targets are seen in a particular time frame. The problem is that everyone has different swing speeds. For example, a slow swinger might hit 1 or 2 targets in a ten second time frame, but a fast swinger in the same area could hit 7 or 8 targets in the same time frame. Meaning, the detector would have to have some type of sensor that determines the swing speed.

What do you all think of a feature like that?

I think the Quest V80 will be on track for that technology coming around, it will have a motion sensor that evaluates your swing speed somehow. 🤔

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I think the Quest V80 will be on track for that technology coming around, it will have a motion sensor that evaluates your swing speed somehow. 🤔

I recall the gyro on the Quest V80.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a gyro can determine swing speed. Rather, a gyro measures angular differences. For example, if you move a gyro up and down or side to side, nothing moves in the gyro. The internals only move when the gyro is rotated. It would need some other type of sensor to determine swing speed. I also don't recall Quest mentioning that the V80 will automatically change the recovery speed, but I'm going to have a look at the V80's advertisement again.

On Quest's official site, it says:

With the gyro sensor, you can:

1) Initiate automatic ground balance without a manual button press.

2) Enable automatic power-saving mode after 5 seconds of no motion.

3) Improve accuracy by measuring swing speed and angle with motion detection.

Point # 1 seems silly to me. I mean how hard is it to press that button that's right beside your thumb when you occasionally ground balance? Also, I'd be worried that it would automatically go into ground balancing mode just by natural or inadvertent movement of the coil.

Point # 2 seems kind of ok, but mostly seems "meh" to me. Also, I don't think constantly cycling the power on and off to the components, is good for the longevity of the components.

Point #3 couldn't possibly be any more vague, and there is no mention of automatic recovery speed.

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I recall the gyro on the Quest V80.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a gyro can determine swing speed.

I think the word "Gyro" is a misnomer for motion sensor, much like a cellphone has built in to orient the compass. A motion sensor would indeed aid the further development of auto recovery along with detection data, that is the only point I'm making. It is an interesting thought. 🤔

If there is no practical way to determine the swing speed, then perhaps an alternative could be that when you enter "Automatic Recovery Speed" mode, you then have to choose a low, mid, or high swing speed. Then all the detector needs to do is count the targets, and that would be very simple for a programmer to code.

Regarding the V80 and the gyro ad that says, "Improve accuracy by measuring swing speed and angle with motion detection":

The ad shows that in the Gyro options, one of the options that can be turned on and off is, "Auto ID stability". Well, a gyro measures angular rotation, and a coil doesn't have angular rotation unless you're using it to shoo away a wasp or something 🙂. As such, I don't see how a gyro can provide ID stability. I'm thinking the gyro has nothing to do with the ID stability. Rather, I think Auto ID Stability is just an algorithm that artificially compresses or averages the multiple ID response, then produces a one number ID. For example, if a target is giving an ID of 25, 26, and 32, then the algorithm is set up to give you the mathematical mean or medium of the various IDs. That way, you will have an ID of something like 30, instead of 25, 26, 32. If that is true, then it's dumbing down the detector and giving less information about what's under the coil.

One of the English language Quest YouTube videos done by a Quest representative goes a little deeper into the Gyro feature which has three sub menus that offer features that separately can each be either turned ON or OFF.

1. Auto Power Save powers down SOME of the detectors features when the detector is ON but is not in motion. As soon as the detector is moved, all of the features are instantly back ON and the V80 is ready to start detecting again. So it is an optional power saving feature which doesn’t fully shut down the detector.

2. Pump To G B is just a ground balancing shortcut that is activated by vertically pumping the coil. No button press is necessary if this feature is turned ON.

3. Auto ID Stability automatically stabilizes target IDs shown on the display by compensating for variations in swing speed and variations in the angle of the coil to the target. 

I am not about to speculate, criticize or throw Quest under the bus for adding these features to their V80 especially since I have not used one. Nobody has since as far as I know there are no production units in the hands of YouTube content creators who have posted V80 videos.

As far as an automatic recovery speed feature somehow related to swing speed……I am still a person that considers recovery speed to be a setting that determines how fast or slow a detector reacts to a target. How fast the coil is being swung is another matter entirely since a really fast swing will probably not cover as much ground during a left to right swing as a medium or slower swing. A really fast swing may also not be as accurate as far as keeping the coil parallel to the ground compared to a somewhat slower swing.

Speed of swing would not be in the equation. Software would determine how fast a detector reacts to targets per time period and adjust accordingly. Less time periods between reacting to targets would mean it would have to increase recovery speed. Less and it would decrease recovery speed. Just my thoughts of course....