What Difference Does 1khz Have On The Equinox From 5khz To 4khz?

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Fisher's DSP on the F75 modified the sensitivity (possibly other settings as well) to give the illusion that EMI was being mitigated.

It wasn't an illusion, its just one of several legitimate ways to attack the issue. The F75 was on the ragged edge sensitivity wise, so they dialed it back slightly and used digital signal processing to cancel EMI.  They also made it so you could switch DST on or off if you were concerned about weak signal masking.  As Steve said in the EMI thread I linked above, the additional sensitivity is worthless if all it is doing is amplifying the noise floor.  

Well Chase, perhaps the term illusion isn't accurate. However, the point remains that the f75 didn't properly eliminate emi. It reduced the sensitivity to the point of complaints that it was now neutered compared to the original f75. 

Anyway, I don't have time until tomorrow morning, but then I'll condense my reasoning points into one post. I'd be happy to see refutations against those points, but then again, despite some adamant disagreement to my position in that other thread, no one actually countered any of my points in that thread. 

53 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Well Chase, perhaps the term illusion isn't accurate. However, the point remains that the f75 didn't properly eliminate emi. It reduced the sensitivity to the point of complaints that it was now neutered compared to the original f75. 

Anyway, I don't have time until tomorrow morning, but then I'll condense my reasoning points into one post. I'd be happy to see refutations against those points, but then again, despite some adamant disagreement to my position in that other thread, no one actually countered any of my points in that thread. 

Some people on this forum get tired of being argued with and talked down to. I am one of them. Most of us would rather detect than argue about the efficacy or not of EMI noise reduction vs EMI noise cancel vs EMI noise elimination.

EMI exists. That is a fact. Most detectors have some form of EMI mitigation related to slight frequency shifts. That is also a fact. From my experience and the experience of some others who have responded repeatedly to this controversy, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn’t. Anything else that anyone believes, hopes, speculates, imagines or just wants to argue about is going off on a wild goose chase tangent.

The topic of this thread was “What Difference Does 1 kHz Have On The Equinox”

Some of us who actually own and use an Equinox responded with some valid experience and knowledge concerning the 4 kHz and 5 kHz options on the Equinox.

Anything else is hijacking this topic.

Start another topic about the F75 and DST (it’s not DSP by the way) and have at it. Maybe somebody will be dumb enough to join in.

Can we get back to 4 kHz vs 5 kHz now if anyone is still interested?

We could start with, why does the Legend have a 4 kHz choice and not a 5 kHz choice?

52 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

no one actually countered any of my points in that thread. 

So why bother to continue to flog a dead horse?  You want someone to prove a negative which is basically impossible.  But knock yourself out.  I'm tapping out, so congrats.

I've only got a couple of minutes right now, but I'll  respond to your post and Jeff's post either later tonight or tomorrow morning. In the meantime, this isn't a matter of trying to prove a negative, because it can be proven or disproven in two simple tests.

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I've only got a couple of minutes right now, but I'll  respond to your post and Jeff's post either later tonight or tomorrow morning. In the meantime, this isn't a matter of trying to prove a negative, because it can be proven or disproven in two simple tests.

Suit yourself.  Maybe someone else will get something out of it.  But I'm moving on from this merry-go-round discussion.  It's like Ground Hog day and non-productive, tbh.  

Another vote from me the 4kHz option was a great option to mitigate EMI, 5kHz is pretty terrible around here, 4 runs like a dream.  The Manticore in some of it's modes gets lower than 4kHz so perhaps they worked out 5 was quite troublesome around the world and shifted a bit lower.

It was interesting they pointed to Asia's customers as being the reason for 4kHz, if it was their EMI causing it of it the targets they chase are better in 4kHz.  I found 4kHz great for deep silver coins, the Target ID wasn't ideal in single frequency but the tones and ID range still gave the coins away nicely.

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Please start a separate topic. Unless it is directly related to the Equinox and 4 kHz versus 5 kHz it doesn’t belong here.

If you want to respond directly to me, do it in a private message. I might read it. I’m exercising my option to ignore forum members.

Like Chase, I am not responding to anything in this topic unless it is ON topic which is the Equinox and 4 kHz versus 5 kHz, what is the Legend’s 4 kHz like, and I wonder why 5 kHz is still on the Equinox 700/900 and the X-Terra Pro and how is it.

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Some people on this forum get tired of being argued with and talked down to. I am one of them. Most of us would rather detect than argue about the efficacy or not of EMI noise reduction vs EMI noise cancel vs EMI noise elimination.

EMI exists. That is a fact. Most detectors have some form of EMI mitigation related to slight frequency shifts. That is also a fact. From my experience and the experience of some others who have responded repeatedly to this controversy, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn’t. Anything else that anyone believes, hopes, speculates, imagines or just wants to argue about is going off on a wild goose chase tangent.

The topic of this thread was “What Difference Does 1 kHz Have On The Equinox”

Some of us who actually own and use an Equinox responded with some valid experience and knowledge concerning the 4 kHz and 5 kHz options on the Equinox.

Anything else is hijacking this topic.

Start another topic about the F75 and DST (it’s not DSP by the way) and have at it. Maybe somebody will be dumb enough to join in.

Can we get back to 4 kHz vs 5 kHz now if anyone is still interested?

We could start with, why does the Legend have a 4 kHz choice and not a 5 kHz choice?

Sheesh, where to begin...

First, no one is being "talked down to". You just made that up for some bizarre reason. Since you seem so insulted by absolutely nothing, and are "tired" of this discussion, why are you posting about it? If you don't agree with my assertion and arguments, then refute them, or ignore them.

Second, the F75 isn't the point of my assertion, it is an example of such.

Third, EMI noise and it's associated noise reduction difference in 4khz and 5 khz, has a whole lot to do with the discussion. Heck, I wasn't even the one who started mentioning it in this thread. Further to that, Chase talked about Minelab experimenting with noise reduction in the 4 khz mode. So ya, where do you get off telling me what I should or shouldn't post, especially when what I'm saying is relevant to the conversation? 

On 5/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, RickUK said:

Folks i have had my Nox a for maybe 4 years,i rarely use it if i am honest,but one that i have still not fathomed out yet is what difference does the 1 khz do on the frequencies ??

I am totally aware that lower freq's go deeper and the Nox originally came with the 5khz as the lowest freq and when coupled with the larger 15x12 that would give you greater depth,but when the update was available the lower freq was reduced to 4khz which i installed that update,but still cannot fathom out why or how just 1 khz can make a massive difference or am i missing something here.

As i dont use this detector as a everday machine,i am plan on using it with the 15x12 coil for deeper larger artefacts.

I really don’t know why 4 kHz is less interfered with here in the USA than 5 kHz. Maybe the 60 Hz USA and 50 Hz difference in the UK and most of Europe and Asia has something to do with it.