Quest V80 News

6 hours ago, midalake said:

Looks like Quest is sold in Mexico. I could be tempted to bring one back! 😎

want to bring one for me also LOL

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I guess fighting silly court cases for no reason other than to destroy competition is a costly experience they just don't want.   Plenty of other markets in the World to sell into with no fears of being taken to court by Minelab.

I'm sure some dealer in some other country will be shipping many units to the US anyway, does Canada have the same crazy sue someone for looking your direction laws as the US?  South of the border like Midalake said would be another option. 

It's happened to XP, Nokta and they just assumed it will happen to them too...  😞  Not good for the industry as a whole, especially the customers.

I have asked a friend in Canada that happens to be a dealer, and he is checking with Quest, there is more than one way to skin a cat LOL if you are willing to pay the fees and the piper 

1 minute ago, midalake said:

Well since I only detect in Mexico, the quest would be for somebody else!
I might give it a test on the beach first though!!!!!

You can test mine all you want as long as you are willing to get one for me LOL

Joan Allen is the Quest dealer in the UK. 

There seems to be an assumption that Minelab is the abuser here, when in fact Quest (Deteknix) was already sued once in the U.S. by Fisher, and lost. The Nokta case also has yet to be decided, so who is to say what the real story is there? Suppressing competition via lawsuits is wrong, but so is ripping off ideas from others.

There are no winners, either Nokta, Quest etc have done something wrong which is bad, or Minelab are just scaring away competition with their bigger wallet which is just as bad so you're right Steve, It's just nice to back the little guy hoping they're in the right as the big guy can fend for itself with its law suits, lawyers and money, a bit of a case of innocent until proven guilty 🙂

It's us the consumers that lose either way.

I just find it odd that they only have to watch their backs in the US, in Minelab's home country you can buy Quest no issues.  The Legend is happily for sale without being taken to Australian courts.  That's the bit I don't get, they have Australian patents.  I guess all this law stuff is just as above my head as the engineering behind the detectors that may or may not have copied something they shouldn't.  My thoughts as just as a customer and it's frustrating when you want to buy something or see competition flourish when the big guy always comes down and chops them off.  At least the Quest looks different to the Nox, that's a start.

Fingers crossed Quest have done nothing wrong.  I do like the look of their detector and want to know more about their special gold mode and like it provides 80kHz.  That side of it is what I was hoping the Equinox 900 would be, a multi-IQ machine with higher than 40kHz.   I also like the fact Quest has embraced aftermarket coils.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There seems to be an assumption that Minelab is the abuser here,

Also, it has not actually been confirmed that Quest has decided to not distribute the V series in the US because of an explicit threat of litigation by ML vs. concern regarding future exposure depending on how ML and Nokta’s pending case gets adjudicated.

33 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I also like the fact Quest has embraced aftermarket coils

Interesting, I was unaware that Quest explicitly announced third party coil support for the SMF V series.  Where can I find that info?

The irony is that of the recent SMF detector designs only the Nox has actually been supported with third party accessory coils.

13 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Interesting, I was unaware that Quest explicitly announced third party coil support for the SMF V series.  Where can I find that info?

The irony is that of the recent SMF detector designs only the Nox has actually been supported with third party accessory coils.

Just going by history of them having coils for their models without the need for a "endorced" product by the manufacturer like the aftermarket Nox coils.  Nokta appeared to make it difficult for Nel so Nel didn't release their Nokta coils for the Simplex even years after annoucement and skipped the Legend entirely and that's all ancient history now.  With Detech making Quest coils we can only hope they'll continue on and make new Quest coils too. 

Another innocent until proven guilty thing, they've not stopped coils in the past, so at this stage we can assume they haven't stopped them yet 🙂

It's good the Nox has 3rd party coils, bad that they're so limited and forced to buy only one endorced brand.  I'd much prefer a Detech 13" Ultimate on my Nox than the 15" Coiltek.

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's good the Nox has 3rd party coils, bad that they're so limited and forced to buy only one endorced brand.  I'd much prefer a Detech 13" Ultimate on my Nox than the 15" Coiltek.

Not really “bad” as far as I’m concerned, the 6”, 10x5”, 11” and 12x15” cover all my bases quite nicely.  Not really wanting for anything beyond that and have no use for the other two Coiltek “boat anchors”.

And despite the lack of 3rd party support for Legend, at least Nokta has similarly covered the bases with 6 different coils for Legend, so really not wanting for coils there either.

So if Detech comes through with an SMF compatible coil series for the V60/80 that would be great.  Note that the addition of the inertial motion sensor in the OEM V series coils would be an additional minor complexity/compatibility factor that has to be taken into consideration by Detech.  

I will also note FWIW that Detech makes several accessory coils for Simplex (different sized “Ultimate” coils and the “Arrow”) yet nothing for the Legend, so…it doesn’t necessarily follow that Detech will make coils for the V60/80 even though they currently make coils for the “Q” series, if that is any indicator.  Could have something to do with SMF complexities.  Who knows…