The Old Homeplace

Great story JCR.Thaanks for sharing it and taking us along.Hoping that something with provenance and connected to your relatives comes to the light of day for you.

• Like 2

Looks like a nice hunt, is that some gold and some silver that I see.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

• Like 2

Nice hunt. Fun hunting a place like that. Some interesting finds.

• Like 2

No Gold or Silver. Only 3 coins. The partial toy soldier is neat and the small Flur de Luis ornament. The plated buckle is stamped brass so maybe from a cap gun rig.

For some reason the photo loaded upside down. I will try again with 2 more photos. The first showing some of the big Iron. The chain & hook are hand forged, so quite old & worn. The plow share is a common type find for me. This one is whole and cleaned up well. I intend to use it on my push plow in my row garden.  The second photo shows the house with a family reunion gathered together on the front porch about 1927. Fortunately, older relatives who are in the photo as children, helped me get everyone identified.

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

• Like 8

Dang it. Upside down again.

• Like 1

That's a special place to detect indeed, great hunt! Being able to hunt a place with your family connection is a rare thing and I imagine many of those items had a very personal connection to them and now to you. Well done, JCR!

• Like 2

JCR — I recognize that type of chain.  Dug a good bit of hand forged chain up north recently from late 1700’s.  I like yours with the hook on it.  All the items are great you found.  Congrats on your finds.  

• Like 2

The hook is unusual in that the nose has an acorn shaped end. I'm sure it was used on a wagon somehow. Kind of big for a trace chain. I wouldn't be surprised if it came from South Carolina after the War with the rest of the family. It is definitely older than the house site.

• Like 2

Nice hunt, JCR. Especially like the fancy buckle.

I've had problems with upside down photos, I found slightly cropping them with phone upright avoids that issue. 🙂

• Like 1