And Speaking Of D2 Water Hunters...

What do you water hunters think of this? Gary posted a short video on the Metal Detecting Skill School group on Facebook showing a coil cover mod made by a D2 user for swinging in the water. I couldn't get the link to work outside of FB, so here's a screen shot. Would you water hunters use something like this?

Water Coil.jpg

• Like 3

Looks sharp, but I'll probably pass.

I'm not sure if it's trying to solve a problem that isn't there? I find the 9" coil swings pretty nice in the water, even with the coil mount not centered.  

One thing I really like about the 9" coil is that it fits nicely down the hole left by my 720i. That lets me get a better read on a deep target to know whether to keep digging or move on. This cover looks like it adds 1" - 1.5" of diameter to the coil which might hamper hole work. 

I wonder if it seals to the coil any better than the stock cover to keep sediment from between the coil and cover?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Would you water hunters use something like this?

The coil also has a centering device. I haven't had good luck with them, I wonder if that accessory would work well without one.

If it fits right but is fairly easy to take off to clean, that's pretty cool. 👍 Hopefully it also accommodates charging clips and aftermarket stuff.

The coil that really needs something like that is the 13".

• Like 3

It does look cool, but not being a real water hunter, I can't say if it would help or hinder. With the increased surface area, I would think it might create more drag in the water, specially with the centering thingy on it.

As Brad said, the 9" coil probably doesn't need any help in the water, but also as F350 said, maybe the big coils do.

It's definitely looks well engineered with some tight tolerances, so whoever made that is good at 3D CAD and printing, and it's innovative and not a copy job like so many other 3D printed thingies on the web.

• Like 4

I would definitely try this in the water. An aerodynamic coil cover could work, making sweeping easier in the water.

• Like 2

My initial thought…,looks like added protection for rocky environments…in the water or not.  In my case on our beaches, I wouldn’t need it.  Our beaches, like most others where I hunt are rock free.

I too wonder about the charging clip fit.  Given the design,  I just assumed it would have to be removed.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cheddar said:

looks $ if it helps protect from rocks, keep sand out, and glide through the water.

any info on where to get one?

It was on a quick video clip that the Gary posted in the Metal Detecting Skill School group on Facebook. I think he stated he was in Italy and a fellow came up to him to show him what he had made, so it may not be availble for purchase.

As an engineer, the shape of it will force it down on the bottom instead of floating upward. It would create down force like the wing on an Indy/F1 car. Don't know if that's good in a real rocky area though...

• Like 4