Thanks For Having Me....

DirtyBoatGuy

Buddy of mine took me out once,,,, DONE! I went and bought the Equinox 900 and will be going out tomorrow after my shovel comes in the mail. Of course, it will take me some time to learn this machine, but with his help and this forum, I'm I learn fast. Happy to be here and learn from you guys....  

Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here.

There are many people here to answer your questions about your new detector should you have any.

My suggestion when new is to run the detector in the factory settings and dig every tone that you find and keep mental notes on what they were in the ID ranges. That will make it easier to learn what you are finding when detecting. I am using my grandfathers 800 and find that the factory settings work quite well for me.

Good luck and good hunting.

Welcome from East Texas.

Remember a typical detector’s signal narrows with depth, so overlap you swings if you are looking for deep targets.  The natural tendency is to go faster when you are not finding much.  Be conscious of your attitude and slow down when needed.  When you find a target in trash, or a deeper or questionable target, take some time to experiment with settings and swing speed.  You may find there is an optimal swing speed for your settings.  Remember the detector is only half your hunting team... Keeping some of your trash (and treasure) to scan at home will help you remember where different targets ring up.  Spend some time in the local history section of your library.  Old topographic maps are your friend.

That is my two cents.  Have fun and post some finds!

19 hours ago, DirtyBoatGuy said:

Buddy of mine took me out once,,,, DONE!

Welcome, and glad to hear you had a fun first experience dectecting!

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that turned you on to the hobby? Did you find something cool, liked the exploration piece, technology, etc.? I'm still a relative novice, but I can say it's the thrill of the hunt that pulls me in, and finding anything weird/cool keeps me going...or if I start hitting a bunch of quarters 🙂

Welcome aboard DirtyBoatGuy ! 

First , I gotta say I  love your forum name , arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !

Second , Sorry you have become addicted to beeps . There's a lot of that going on around here...🙄

If your friend that got you in this situation can't answer a question ,,,the crew here will keep ya afloat !   Just ask.🧐

You chose forums wisely. 

Our fearless leader has put together some things of interest , be sure to check out Steve's Guides 

and don't miss his journal too !

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/steves-mining-journal/

Research is how to find the old stuff and if you have a beach that 900 will be your new best friend ! 

Find something good and post 'er up , we like pics and if you don't know what something is pics here will bring an ID or two......now get out there , finds are waiting !

Easy diggins !🤩