V3i - Screen Replacement Substitute

chiil

Yeah, that looks like a faulty display. It's good to know there might be a direct replacement. When Sharp obsoleted that display we looked for a replacement but there was none at the time.

• Like 5

Seller has agreed to send two replacements. Doesn't want the old displays back. Will report back when they arrive.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the two replacement screens arrived.  One works.  The other has the same black line through the display.  Unsure if this is a quality control issue as one functions as it should.  75% OOB with issues.  I'm not even sure I want to try to have the one screen that's bad replaced.  EDIT: Contacted seller and he suggested providing me a refund for a single LCD. He did not want the previous units back. Great seller! But it sucks that there were issues.

In the meantime while I was waiting for these screens, I did order some "NEW" screens from another seller on Ebay.  Both arrived, and were new screens from Sharp.  Both worked perfectly fine.  I ended up installing one of these two screens.  The other screen most likely ended up in the trash, as my wife thought the packaging was garbage and tossed it.  😞  

Oh well.  My V3i is up and running again... and I have one spare screen now.

2023-08-15_17-55.png

2023-08-15_17-54.png

• Like 8

Great news, thanks for posting it all, I'm sure someone in the future will find this very helpful.

Sounds like the seller got a dud batch of screens.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 8:08 PM, Geotech said:

Yeah, that looks like a faulty display. It's good to know there might be a direct replacement. When Sharp obsoleted that display we looked for a replacement but there was none at the time.

What is the greater factor in screen failure over time, age or use?

I believe heat - like leaving it in a hot car during the summer. I bought my v3i used and it developed the lines within a month of me having it. It's hard to say how the previous owner stored the detector.

Maybe someone else can chime in with their experiences.

Chiil:

You've just brought up a very good point that is actually a good piece of advice for all of us no matter the brand of our detector.  We may inadvertently forget and leave our detector in a hot environment, and later pay the price.  A good word to the wise for all of us.  Thanks for the "heads up" warning.

17 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

What is the greater factor in screen failure over time, age or use?

For a color LCD, the backlight usually degrades/fails before the actual screen. The V3 uses a transflective LCD so it can run without a backlight, and doing so will extend its life. But even the screen itself can degrade, and excessive heat will speed that up. So ignoring the backlight, age is more of a factor.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 8:00 PM, chiil said:

Well, the two replacement screens arrived.  One works.  The other has the same black line through the display.  Unsure if this is a quality control issue as one functions as it should.  75% OOB with issues.  I'm not even sure I want to try to have the one screen that's bad replaced.  EDIT: Contacted seller and he suggested providing me a refund for a single LCD. He did not want the previous units back. Great seller! But it sucks that there were issues.

In the meantime while I was waiting for these screens, I did order some "NEW" screens from another seller on Ebay.  Both arrived, and were new screens from Sharp.  Both worked perfectly fine.  I ended up installing one of these two screens.  The other screen most likely ended up in the trash, as my wife thought the packaging was garbage and tossed it.  😞  

Oh well.  My V3i is up and running again... and I have one spare screen now.

2023-08-15_17-55.png

2023-08-15_17-54.png

Chiil,  Who was the seller that you purchased the good working screens from?   Do you know if it's current production, or obsolete product?    My V3i screen is still good, but should probably get backup.    Thanks!