New Member Needs Help With Xlt

Hello everyone, this is Mickey Mouse I'm new, but hope to find information on a White Spectrum XLT. Is anyone worked on main board or display? I tried to replace all caps and now Cap # 31 on board 505- 0198-B exploder's every time I put one in. I'm using 12 Volt battery pack. Can anyone help me.  have checked polarity and they are in the correct way. C31 is a 220uf, 16volt cap.

• The title was changed to New Member Needs Help With Xlt

Maybe @Geotech can help?  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, Mickey Mouse said:

I tried to replace all caps and now Cap # 31 on board 505- 0198-B exploder's every time I put one in.

Makes no sense. C31 is simply a cap directly across the battery. If it explodes then it's either backwards, (way) too low of a voltage rating, or the circuit is seriously screwed up.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, Mickey Mouse said:

I was re-checking the main board and found an IC chip U2, looks burned up. But cannot identify its numbers. I would appreciate if someone could identify, this chip number. (IC - U2) and post it to me. 

U2 is a "4316" quad switch. Possibly a CD4316, but 74HC4316 and 74HCT4316 might also work. If this part is cooked, then you've got some super major problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Geotech:

Although I do not have an XLT, I just wanted to say thank you for your input and sharing your knowledge on these instruments.  I am certain that there will be others in the future that will appreciate access to these little tidbits of info and insight.  I appreciate your contribution.  Thank you.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

If you are going to replace caps, test them after you remove them one at a time with a good meter that doesn’t just give you value but ESR and other parameters.  So many products have been damaged by people doing cap replacements without reason. The instructions for the XLT rechargeable pack say it is 10V not 12V. So either you are putting the cap in backwards or your pack voltage is too high. The CD4316 has a max VC spec of 10V so maybe you damaged several components with your “12V” pack.

2 hours ago, bklein said:

If you are going to replace caps, test them after you remove them one at a time with a good meter that doesn’t just give you value but ESR and other parameters.  So many products have been damaged by people doing cap replacements without reason. The instructions for the XLT rechargeable pack say it is 10V not 12V. So either you are putting the cap in backwards or your pack voltage is too high. The CD4316 has a max VC spec of 10V so maybe you damaged several components with your “12V” pack.

Using the standard battery pack, which holds 8 penlight AA cells, each 1.5 Volt, will not damage anything if all works as it should. (8x1.5V=12V if I remember correctly?!)